Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Redneck Fix #879,298,001

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justhorsinaround, May 26, 2004.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

So do you have a crack in your radiator along the seam of the end cap? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Well do I have a quick fix for you for the low, low, low price of right about five bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

First ya yank the radiator out. Put it on end with the crack facin up. Here's the redneck part. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Grab the tube of Super Glue that ya have settin on some shelf in the shed or whatever. Slather a whole bunch of the stuff all along the crack and let it skin. If'n ya want for some extra insurance, then take some gasket sealant and put some of that all over the place. Then hike on in to the bathroom and grab your gals hairdryer and use it to dry the whole mess.

Throw the radiator back in the truck and bring the critter up to temperature without the cap on and let cool. Wiz bang your done and so far it ain't leakin.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's amazin how necessity really is the mother of invention.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

for a hole in the core of the radiator, use bubble gum. not only will it seal the leak, but as the engine comes up to temp it will emit a pleasant smell. totally freaked out some of my competitors when i was racing my Monte Carlo. beat and banged up car, no windows, no bumpers, no exhaust, and the unmistakable aroma of Bazooka. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

why not just use a blowtorch and some solder and solder it closed?

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Rednecks don't know how to solder,They use a roadflare and a coat hanger and weld it shut /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Ahhhhh. That would require the possesion of a blow torch. This was the rummage around lookin for JB Weld, which I obviously couldn't find, idea that seems to be doin pretty well so far. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

hey it does sound like a good trail repair tip /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Black pepper is cheaper and easier and you dont have to remove the radiator, or egg whites. Those are the lazy redneck fixes. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Rednecks don't know how to solder,They use a roadflare and a coat hanger and weld it shut /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]ROAD FLARE AND COAT HANGER???DOES THAT REALLY WORK?

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've used coat hangers as a filler rod with a torch so if the flare gets hot enough I guess it could... Coat hanger rod doesn't work real good but it's better than nothing. It has alot of impurities and no flux.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A word of warning. Do NOT try to solder on that radiator now that you have applied super glue to it! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif When super glue is exposed to flame, or the heat of a soldering iron, it will release isocyanate gas. That's the stuff that leaked from a Union Carbide chemical plant in India several years ago, killing thousands of people. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Just a tiny bit of it will make your eyes and sinuses burn like they're on fire. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I limped home once by sealing a leaky radiator seam with some stuff called "Shoe Goo"--its made for fixing shoes,its made by the same folks that make "GOOP",they have several types"Plumbers Goop","Sportsmans Goop",they all seem to be about the same stuff,looks like clear silicone caulk,but the stuff works great--its holding the soles of my trashed work boots together for six months now! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifand they were torn almost right off the leather uppers!.It works on rubber radiator hoses,it stretches instead of cracking when flexed.I would normally use J-B weld but that was the only stuff handy that day.I did solder it when I got home--it was a real bear to get that stuff off so the solder would stick--maybe I should have left it on to see how long it would have lasted!It works on house plumbing,so it should work on automotive,right? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

So it wasn't your thermostat. I wonder how long it will hold up. Anyway , call me, I still need to give ya those fans /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif