Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

redneck instatute of technolgy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BROKEN-ONE, Sep 29, 2006.

1. BROKEN-ONE

BROKEN-ONE Registered Member

what is the weirdest wrenching thing you have found on your truck ?
    i found a 40w light bulb and socket behind the dash to light it up . this was such a bad deal i have to pull all the wiring to dash to fix it . i was dumbfounded when i saw this . :haha:

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Rear lights wired to battery using a household extension cable. 30 year old mountain of beer cans behind the seat. Bailing wire on the carb linkage, duct tape instead of electrical tape... Theres more but Id have to think about it.

3. BROKEN-ONE

makes you wonder

makes you wonder , what the h the p.o was thinking or not thinking at the time , doesn't it ?:D for me this was so awesome i had to call the wife out to see it .

4. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

this was all on one truck i bought when i was 15 for 50$ radiator overflow a bleach container,no air filter, REAL bucket seats taped to the floor, safety wire or something like that wrapped around the steering box rag joint replacing the bolts that go there and a all the plug wires were 3 spaces off and all mixed up and the dist was 3 teeth off

5. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

not on my truck but a friends

6 kc lights ran off of one 18g speaker wire :O

6. BROKEN-ONE

good deal not so good deal

this truck was priced to move my hand to my pocket . but i should have known better . keep them coming trying to show the wife i am not the only one who has dealt with this kind of stuff . she says the truck is growing on her . :haha:

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

my friend broke his s-10 leaf spring (hauling waaaaay more than that little thing could handle), duct taped it together, and is still driving on it :eek1: !!!

8. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

allthread ubolts on the rear with lift blocks.

9. BROKEN-ONE

Awesome

these are getting good , keep them coming . :laugh:

10. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Not mine-
    2x4's ontop of 1" ALUMINUM(cracked in 3 places) blocks in the rear and 1" aluminum blocks infront that shifted every turn and threw the rear peice of one into the road!

On mine- Cd player wires straight to battery with speaker wire...Rear window held up with a peice of wood(still use it!).

11. tomford

tomford 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well the cd player is hooked up to the battery with the orange extension chord wire , vice grips for the window crank

tom ford

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

not mine or truck.

but car came in to shop for state inspection. failed bad. found 11 compression fittings in the brake line system. :yikes: :yikes: :haha: :haha:

another was fresh hockey puck as subframe mounts on a astro van. told lady and she said " i know i drilled the holes and he installed them so ? ":eek1: :eek1: :haha: :haha:

13. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

PO welded motor mount brackets to the frame cause they wouldn't line up right cause they were upside down...

14. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

a friend of mine did that too, ran 5 off speaker wire thinking hey its got a ground and power in one wire setup...:rolleyes:

15. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I MADE this one. 100ft extension cord, 110V outlet and a high beam bulb. Hooked the outlet to the fuse box, soldered the bulb to the extension cord. I had a trouble light for no cost.

16. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My Jimmy had wire nuts and the cheap xtension cords for headlight/signal wiring.

17. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

was at my friend shop one day when a customer came in and asked if they could put new shocks on his jeep because it was riding funny. they say "yeah we can do that, go get it." he pulls into the lot about an hour later and you can here him coming. all eight spring eyes did not have anything in the way of a bushing.:doah: nothing, just bolts through the end of the spring. when you turned the wheel the whole body would shift around.

How long do you have to drive tochunk out every single bushing?

18. BROKEN-ONE

these are good

these are some of the best i have heard , i lovre this web site .:D

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

memories!..

Yeah--what some folks will do just to get the vehicle operable again!..

My last 2 4x4's have had Prestone containers, instead of the original cracked OEM one!:whistle:
    --I never see a good one in boneyards,they crack every one when they pull a motor,or step on them while climbing around in the engine compartment!..the Prestone jugs work just as well for me!..

I've used threaded rod as U-bolts too!--my friends 68 Scout sheared 2 rear u bolts off after driving it while they were loose!..no auto parts dealers open on sunday--so Home Depot was close enough!..we put 5/8" threaded rod in there ,bent around a tree in my yard to get the "U" shape..he drove it like that for at least 2 years,despite promising he'd "fix it right" when the right U-bolts were available..:rolleyes:

I found THREE compression unions on the rear brake line in my 74 K20!--and the scary part is I think I put them there!..must have popped that line during bad storms while plowing,and wanted a quick fix!..(I've never had one fail yet,but I don't like using them on road driven vehicles)..I see tons of cars and trucks with compression fittings on the brake lines at my friends shop..:eek1:

My 74 K20 also featured many house "wire nuts" making several important connections ,and someone used an ordinary 110V grounded outlet as a trailer wiring socket for it--they even tossed in the orange extention cord that connected the truck and trailer!..how thoughtful!..:rolleyes:

One guys 69 Chevelle had a "lift kit" that consisted of a peice of 6x6" lumber and a long carriage bolt clamping it between the rear coil springs and the axle pad where they seat!..needless to say,that,and its air shocks pumped up to 125 psi,and L60-14's sticking 6" out of its rotted fenderwells kept it from passing inspection!..:rolleyes:

One car I bought had NO drivers side motor mount pad!--A 70 Chevy Impala with a 350..I found a black painted hunk of 2x4 cut and made to look like the factory rubber things that bolt to the crossmember...it broke when I tried doing a brakestand,and the air cleaner stud poked thru the hood!..the motor also had a "safety chain" looped around its exhaust manifold to the a-frame bolts!..I fixed it right with junkyard parts!--moron spent more time making fake parts than putting real ones in would have!...(but I bought it cheap, and knew the stuff was moused anyway!--it was fun beating on that car!)..

One day an older guy brings a big Ford product,a 90 Mercury Marquis I think it was,in my friends shop--says he thinks he got water in the gas--car was barely running,and stalled repeatedly when you'd try to acceletate it..my friend said "maybe your timing is off,or something,I can "scan" it for codes too,and see if a sensor is bad,etc"..the guy says "no--I'm VERY sure its water in the gas!..:wink1:

Then his wife gets out of the car,and says to my friend "Do you think HE messed something up??--he's ALWAYS poking around this dam car!--and screws things up more than he fixes it!..she gets back in the car--and the guy says to my friend in a hushed voice "I'll give you a $50 tip, if you dont tell my wife the truth!--I was drilling holes in the trunk floor to empty the pool of water in the spare tire well,and gee--I didn't know the GAS TANK was under there too!"..:doah: OOOPS!..we pulled the tank--found 5 neat 1/4" holes drilled in the top of the tank!--one was a "bull's eye"--right thru the sending unit!:haha:

Then there was the guy who used 3/16" FUEL LINE to "repair" his rotted out brake line to get a sticker in his VW!..we saw it right off,and laughed our asses off as we told him to "step hard" on the brakes,and it expanded and contracted like a balloon,instead of sending the pressure to the wheel cylinders!..we asked him how the brakes worked--he said "not bad,but I think they might need bleeding!"..:rolleyes: "Inspection FAILED!..NEXT!":p:

20. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: