Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

redneck ram people i have a question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Mar 15, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i am getting ready to ship my box out but was wondering, how many of you modified your power steering pump for more pressure? and if you did what size tires you running and do you think it helped modifying the pump? thanks chris

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did! I'm running 39.50's and the difference after modding the pump is unbelievable /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You might want to mod for volume, but probably not pressure. The pressure mods are known to sometimes damage the pump (cracked housing) and should be done carefully and incrementally. Really, you won't be hurting for power. I could turn the 42s on a locked D60 very easily with one finger (though it was slowly) before I modified the pump. My only complaint is that with the 2" ram (old style) it is really slow (not enough volume, plenty of pressure) with a stock pump. I’m still too slow at idle, but anything above 1000 rpms and it’s as fast as you could want. I’ll probably add a little more flow, but that’s with a 2” ram, the new 1.75 would probably be fine.

My advice (which is the same as Matt gave me when I did mine) is to just put it on and see how it works. IMO, you won’t be lacking for power, though you’ll have less than me due to ram size. If you don’t need more power, you don’t need more pressure. *If* the stock pump is too slow, do the volume mods slowly, one *small* step (drill size) at a time. You’ll probably need only one mod (drilled out) at the most with the new ram. Two will probably do for me to feed the 2” ram.

Good luck, and don’t hesitate to call Matt, he’s a great guy and always willing to provide as much info as you want… /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

hey thanks for the help, the reason i was asking is cause matt said i could send my pump in and he would mod it for me, just wanted to see so if it would be worth the extra shipping on the pump.

5. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

His directions on his site for the mod are excellent I was hesitant at first but had an extra pump and once I tore into it, boy was it easy. Not worth the shipping unless you don't have a drill press and a vise to take apart the pump in.

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah it only took me about 30 minutes. I didn't even have to take the pump out of the truck.