Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Redoing a E-brake cable system on a shortbed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Dec 18, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i have a truck with the sm465, and no e-brake, is kinda frustrateing when i wanna park it and i gotta let it roll up agaist a tree to keep it running. i have the petal, all the old cables, i cut them when i did the 12 bolt swap. everything is still there one way or another, i was jus wondering if anyone ever re-did one of these things, and how much labor\time was involeved and how much they costed, and where was the cheapest place to get them, and did they freeze up real fast from mud getting in the cable and screwing it up. thhanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

A brick or two works great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure in your case, but I just did the ones on Noangel's 88 K5. I bought all the items from GM and they came re-designed. The old style was metal sleeved (kinda like the flexible eletrical conduit) which loved to attract and keep salt, mud, water, debris, etc. The new cables are plastic coated with plastic sheeths which should help prevent MOST of the problems you had with the old style. The only thing is I don't know if those style are available for your rig from the factory still. You might want to check LMC, Chevy Duty, Cheyenne Pickup, etc. to see what type of cables they use. Its alot cheaper than replacing sheetmetal when your truck rolls down hill and hits something/someone. If I remember correctly on the blazer, each cable was anywhere between $20 and $35 with my discount, and her's had 3.

Good luck, it's definitely worth the piece of mind, plus our state requires it.