Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Redoing my 78s rear interior panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Neil, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Any ideas on customizing some new ones..even removing them all together possibly?? The ones I am taking out are basically rotten. I think it would free up alot of space back there to just remove them and cut out the hanger brackets maybe. What have you guys done??? Got any tan or brown colored ones in good shape you might be willing to donate? Thanks folks!!

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

2. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Kinda pricey but diamond plate would look good and the 1\4" stuff isnt very heavy.

3. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

That would be kinda cool. Never thought of that. I could even make some storage possibly with hinged doors in the metal to store stuff behind the panels. I had a friend who bought a 67 Camaro 2 yrs ago, when he took out the back seat to redo the carpet, he founds 2 bags of weed!!! Mary Jane type !!! I found nothing behind my panels! Not even a penny or some old wires or anything.

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

4. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had problems with a 74 Nova I bought new.....about 6 months or so I had probs with the passenger side window after a big rain......I took the panel off and found a half eaten sandwich and a Twinkie in a paper bag......it had gotten wet and slid down from where someone had stuffed it when the car was built.....the sandwich was way green , but the twinkie didn't look all that bad cept for bein' hard as a rock......for side panels, several guys have used the old panels as patterns to cut new ones out of plywood (or whatever) and covered them with speaker type carpet.....you could still fit them with hinged/latched doors for storage, have a great place for speakers (I got a 12" woofer in mine), hide and protect your amps, etc.......lotsa ideas in here on this project...JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

5. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Check out the pics of the Rhino Lining I had done. I am keeping the panels out for the extra room. Just an idea, so you know some options. You can do this yourself with Herculiner.

http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Check out my site below (click on the link) and check out the interior page............made mine out of 5/8" particle board, covered in carpet to match the rest of the interior. Put 2 10" speakers in along with 2 6x9's.............saved a lot of space compared to the sub box I used to have in there.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I posted some quick instructions here:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=178817&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1>http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=178817&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1</a>

Dave

Saw It... Wanted It... Had A Fit... Got It
    91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

8. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I made mine out of ply wood and had them line-xed

take a look at my photo album

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>

9. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Was that sprayed in or rolled? I've seen some really crappy home done jobs. Thought about gutting the interior, putting in the repair panels I need and have the local Line-X guy do it before I put it all back together.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

10. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I think I might cut new ones from thin paneling patterned after the old ones. I plan on covering this with a tan vinyl material that looks kinda like a leather imitation. I found it at the WalMart supercenter fabric/craft department.

11. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Use material intended for the automotive industry - will resist water and generally hold up better.

Dave

Saw It... Wanted It... Had A Fit... Got It
    91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

12. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

this stuff from walmart is tough..paneling might be rethought though.