Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Redoing my exhaust, finally

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Blaze, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I am finally going to fix my leaky, rattling exhaust in my 92 Yukon. I have a Flowmaster muffler now and I hate it. Too much interior resonance. It has a single inlet, dual exit right now, but the exhaust system is so loose it hits the floor when I hit the brakes. I am taking off the Flowmaster and sticking on a dual-exit glasspack until I cna get a better exhaust system on it. Should sound better than that damn Flowmaster. Can't wait to get it done! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Wow your the first person ive heard say they hate flow's !! I like Flowmaster's they got a deep tone i HATE that POPing and Crakling of straight pipes Ive heard glasspaks and they sound good but is the flows to Loud b/c i thought that glasspaks were louder. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it kills my ears. I've had ear surgery a few times and the Flow's frequencies kill my ears.

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

have you thought about going with a delta flow muffler? i'm running a 50 series delta flow and i've got pretty much zero interior noise. although, i keep wishing the accelration was a bit louder, i keep going back to the goodness that i've got no interor resonance /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif i road trip A LOT and i know i'd kill myself if io had to deal with a mind-numbing drone.

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I road trip a lot, too. I don't know what it is, but I've heard Flowmasters on pickups before and they didn't seem bad, maybe because the muffler is under the bed /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I figured since mine is sort of under the cab, it is louder. I am just going to go with the glasspack till I can afford a Spintech muffler. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It also depends on which particular version of Flowmaster you have. Some if their mufflers are designed to be LOUD. I've got their cat back system on our '94 Suburban. It came with a 50 series muffler and it has a nice rumble, but not too loud. It is just a tad louder than I would like on a long road trip, but it isn't deafening. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

well i had no exhaust after the cat before and it was under the cab and you had to yell to say anything to the person riding mabey 2 feet beside you It was cool when going though drivethoughs at restuants and crusin town movie threaters and shops but WAY to loud not as loud as just manifolds though i had that for about 20 mins on way to exhuast shop and man anything above idle was KILLER /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but anyway my flows go out the back and i can hear them but they arent too loud as its back at the bed. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Harry, I have a 50-series on my S-10 and it has the same resonance. Two trucks and two diffenent Flowmasters and they both drive me nuts. If I had a built motor it would be one thing, but on a stock motor they moan too much, IMHO.

Spencer, I know what you mean. When I had my exhaust done on my Firebird I drove around fire straight through the Hooker Comps with no exhaust. Sounded really mean. I had a cutout on it too, right before the cat, open that thing up and it sounded really mean. I lvoe going under bridges and tunnels. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. BlackWidow13

BlackWidow13 Registered Member

i got just the thing to get rid of the exhaust sound inside your truck! 2 15" Rockford Fosgate Subs that hold 1000W each, put those in and they will get rid of any noise you may hear. will sell for 200 w/ box /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nice plug there. I don't really have the room, I haul around a lot of car parts for my business.

BTW, I got the exhaust all hooked back up. 3 broken hangers and a hole in the Flowmaster. Glasspack sounds so much better. You can't beat the sound of a glasspack!