Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

redrilling a 9.5 14 bolt axles to 6 lug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moturbopar, Feb 2, 2006.

1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi all I was wondering her if anyone has redrilled the bolt pattern on a 14bolt sf 8 lug to a fit a 6 lug? I can find 9.5 8 lugs all day long but no 6 lugs. Is the centering hub on the 3/4 ton axle bigger than the half ton, if so do you think this can be machined down? Anyways It would be nice if it could be done, since I wouldnt have to worry about changing around spring pearches and stuff.
    Thanks

2. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Ya info on this would be great as I have been thinking about this also thanks.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I think 4.175" is what you need to turn the center down to.

You'd need to open up the drum or disc you were planning to use also.

4. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

It's gonna be a good amount of work. It's like converting the 10.5" FF to 6lugs. Your gonna heed to have it turned, and your gonna need the 6 lug drums.

I actually found a website that sell adapters, but I would just keep looking for the 6 lugs. I'm heading down to the J/K this weekend with neverendingproject, if we see some, we'll let you know. It shouldn't be too hard to work a plan form there.

http://www.truckn-store.com/product_list.asp?id=1434

Al

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Machine shop should be able to help ya out so its done right , and fill in the holes too . They have probably done it before too , for car guys with cheap 9 inch ford to chevy stuff in rods and ponycars .

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Last time I looked at new axleshafts, they weren't THAT expensive for what you were getting...

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

last i looked, the chromoly 6 lug axle shafts for the 14bsf were like $100 each. i just wish they made them in 8 lug, id buy a set of them for my truck.

8. dyeager535

That's the price I remembered seeing as well. For brand new bearing surfaces and strong shafts, that certainly sounds like the way to go instead of spending time/effort/money on converting 8 lug ones.

The centering hub on the later 6 lug stuff is smaller than the stock wheels of our vintage, but that isn't a problem.

And if you really wanted to get clever, you could probably have a custom pair made with the right cetering hub, plus same spec lug studs as the front. The stock 14MM will work with our stock 6 lug wheels we have, but you need two different sockets to pull the wheels.

9. moturbopar

thanks for the replies. Do you know where you guys saw the axles at? I have looked all over the net and only found them for the later model pickups, and they are about an inch wider each.

10. dyeager535

I just quickly glanced at Moser and a couple others that were linked in an old 4wheeler mag article, $120 each (didn't see the 14SF at Moser listed moserengineering.com) but a pair of complete custom axles from what I saw was no higher than $400.

Hopefully others chime in with axleshaft suppliers with a bigger selection, or better online listing.

11. moturbopar

yea, I emailed a few axle manufactures, I am waiting to hear back from them.

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yes, the 6-lug are all for later-models, but they still fit in the 8-lug housing. The extra width is nice, though. You still have to get brakes and the drums are really expensive. If you can get a whole 6-lug axle, it could be cheaper since new shafts and drums is close to $400. When I did it, I made disc brakes at the same time and it turned out cheaper than getting all of the drum brake parts I needed. (Of course, you should read some of the numerous threads about rear disc conversion, low pedal, spongy brakes, etc.)

Moser engineering in Indiana told me they could fill, redrill and machine the 8-lug shafts into 6-lug for like $50 a piece, put shipping is expensive. This process is still much easier than converting an 8-lug FF into 6-lug.