Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Redrilling a chevy 205 for a dodge eod tranny

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by camiswelding, Feb 7, 2006.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Im wondering if anyone thinks it feasible to make an adapter that would adapt late model 205 to a dodge OD auto tranny...( if I have a machine shop)

The adapter could be chevy t/c on one side and dodge trans on the other... made from aluminum... then the sleeve could be splined for the chevy on one side and the dodge on the other ,,, actually you could cut each one in half and weld them back together and for strength could second sleeve the whole deal

I know I can adapt the chevy od trannies as well... seems like more work,,Im not sure

still looking at all options,,,most likely go all dodge

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

If thats for the 5.9 swap you've been posting about, I'd just do it right and do it all dodge. Until you've witnessed the torque that motor makes you probably don't understand, any possible weak link will wallow itself into a problem.

Do I think the adapter can be made? More than likely so with a machine shop.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i just seen few dodge 205s on ebay .

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Been there before, no machine shop is willing to tool for cutting internal splines different on each side.
    I was trying to get the SM465 doubler (2 SM465 back to back) and I needed a coupler with different size on each side.
    They didn't want to do it then they said for 500 pieces we will make the coupler for $250.
    You can get the whole TC for less.
    All the machine shops have become too snobbish and think they carve gold when they do machining.
    I used to have a machine shop that did anything I asked them to for less than $30 / hour. :confused:
    Good old days.
    IceMan

5. camiswelding

ice ,,,I mispoke before... what I meant to say was how about
    taking a chevy 32 spline 205 shaft and parting it... angle the end... ditto to the dodge shaft... welding them back togehter,,,hardening etc... then sleeving and welding again,,etc....
    then an aluminum adapter...

I know this sounds like alot of work but if you have the machine shop access it might be cheaper than giving up my nearly new chevy 205...

Im bidding on one of those dodge 205s on ebay... we will see how that comes out...

a nice member has one here and has been real patient with me :-)

thanks

cam

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I hope you don't think I am trying to make you buy mine.
    I have done the research for the past 7 years.
    What you are suggesting now is not the best thing to do: welding your shafts will ruin the shafts by making the weld area brittle and it would easily snap with the torque from your CTD.
    By sleeving it on top of the but weld you will reinforce it but again welding further out on the shafts thus making that area brittle.
    It might be fine if you don't have a lead foot.
    On the other hand do you want to trade equal trade?
    I have a 32 spline Sm465 missing the 205 and adapter.
    I have the 23 spline dodge with adapter.
    I can meet you half way.
    Let me know.
    IceMan

7. camiswelding

thanks ice.... Ill definately keep you in mind...

cam