Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Redrilling rims??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Feb 21, 2006.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have 3 swampers with steel wagons with 6 lug chevy pattern. Can these be redrilled to be 8 on 6.5??? Just trying to get my gameplan together for the next couple of months, and trying to figure out what I need to buy etc. If I could save myself a couple of bucks that would be cool.

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I'm no expert, but I think that would compromise the strength of the center part of the rim by redrilling it. You can get 15" 8 lug rims at Summit for about $45 a piece or so. :D

Rick

3. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

i dont recommend that at all. im no expert, believe me. But as Rick said, it will weaken the center and that can lead to issues, even accidents.

4. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

At least two of the holes will overlap, but you could weld up the interfering holes first. I wouldn't worry about the strength, that's rediculous. But I also wouldn't waste my time doing it either. It would cost more than it is worth to have a machine shop do it and you wouldn't get it right with a drill, let alone getting the bevel angle correct. New wheels are cheap and used ones cheaper.

5. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

I am not sure the centers would fit even if you could redrill the holes and not get them out of round. Bite the bullet and buy a new set of rims.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive seen it done, but i wouldn't do it, it would be hard to get it right. arn't the wheels on your truck now a 15"? or are your new tires have a different wheel size?

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have heard of macine shops redrilling axles and hubs , swapping stuff wasn't as easy back then as it is now .

But I have never heard of anyone redrilling rims .

8. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok Looks like I'm buying 5 new rims. the Tires I just got are 16.5" rims rather then the 15" that I allready had
    heres what I have now. I am buying 2 new ones in about 3 weeks, so I'll just order the rims then too
    [​IMG]