Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reducing lift on springs...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 22, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I am pondering the idea of buying 56" rear springs, 4" lift, and taking some leaves out to get it to around 2" of lift. Is this possible? Or will it just mess my flex/ride around?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, it can be done.

Keep in mind that the more leaves you take out, the less load bearing capacity you'll have, as well as increased axle wrap and it will become easier to bend/break/destroy the springs some how.

On this site everyone seems to think softer = better but I've got news for you...this isn't always true in every case.

My front springs are fairly stiff and my truck still flexes great.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay so now I am stuck again. I don't want to take leaves out if they are going to make it bend... back to the drawing board /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i just pulled leaves outta my front packs... very happy

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Have you wheeled on them yet?

6. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

yes, i was very impressed till i broke both front shackles...

dont know if there was a correlation /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Woah! I don't think I will take the leaves out then.

8. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am pondering the idea of buying 56" rear springs, 4" lift, and taking some leaves out to get it to around 2" of lift. Is this possible? Or will it just mess my flex/ride around?

[/ QUOTE ]

here is what I do.

I buy a spring pack that is 2" or more taller than what I want then after everything is installed take a cumalong to each side and winch your frame to your axle about 3 or 4" lower and let it sit over night when you come out the next day let it loose and go drive it around.

do this until you achieve the ride height you want the springs will never sag any farther than this and you will be amazed at how well they flex and ride /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

make sure you add limiting straps so you wont pull out your front driveshaft at full extension because the droop that you get is huge.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Bob,
    That sounds like a good idea, but is it safe? Will it wreck my springs putting all that stress on them? Where can I hook the come along so it will suck the axle up 4 inches?

10. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bob,
    That sounds like a good idea, but is it safe? Will it wreck my springs putting all that stress on them? Where can I hook the come along so it will suck the axle up 4 inches?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is plenty safe that is the same way that I get my truggy inside my enclosed trailer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I have been doing this for a couple of years now and it works really good.

I have all my cage bars going past my engine from the front bumper into the cab so that is where I loop the cumalong back down to the axle.

you could probably hook into your frame and down around your axle. that would probably be the best way for you to do it that way you have double the pulling power just like a snach block.

if I am not making any sence PM me your phone number and I will call you to explain better

11. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

you know another way you could do it is if you have a winch put you rig up on a trailer and run your winch cable straight down to the trailer and suck the front end down tight just a couple of inches each try so you dont go to far.

if you dont have a winch you could try it the same way with big ratchet straps or a couple of cumalongs.
    this is also a good way to find out your driveline lengh.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

It makes sense to me, don't worry. I may have to do it with 1 rachet strap and one come along, because I only have the one come along. If I do this route and have troubles, I'll PM with questions/problems. Thanks