Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reducing The Height Of A Body Lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Resurrection_Joe, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

My truck is getting a bit overtall, and I am considering lowering the body down to 1 or 1.5 inches (from 3)

[​IMG]

Is it possible to just halve the lift blocks with a chop saw?

What are the benifits of the bodylift (example: spark plug accesability, tranny bolt access) that could not be replicated with the trimming of metal? (trim the inners for the plugs, new tranny tunnel for the tranny)

I was thinking of fabricating a new tranny tunnel. Mine is in SORE need of replacement anyway from the famous "I broke the NP205 linkage with my buffness incedent"

Do you think dropping it an inch or two will really matter besides look? It's just the cab and front clip now, the flatbed is set at a static heighth of whatever it takes to clear the swapped in gas tank.

How many lift blocks are there in the cab and front clip?

What linkages, if any, would have to be adjusted?

Anyway, post as you will, as always, thank you for your time

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

yes, it is possible to shorten the blocks with a chop saw, i know of one guy already that has done it, he wanted a 2 inch and all the shop had was a 3 so he just shortened by an inch, if you did cut it in halve you would have twice as many blocks then, which would be 12, your cab takes 4 and the radiator takes 2, so if you ever lost one you would have a replacement /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. rvreddog

rvreddog Registered Member

My body lift is square stock cut to lenght with a hole drilled in it for the bolt to pass through. Cheap and easy.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I chopped mine from a 3" to a 1" with no problems. In fact, I just cut each block into 1" parts and ended up with a bunch of extra's. You'll just have to get some new bolts fromt he hardware store.

5. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    I chopped mine from a 3" to a 1" with no problems. In fact, I just cut each block into 1" parts and ended up with a bunch of extra's. You'll just have to get some new bolts fromt he hardware store.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, remeber what size the bolts are?

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Umm, no I dont.

What I did was take one bolt from the core support, one from the cab area, and one from the rear and went to the hardware store and just bought bolts that were 2" shorter. I think I could reuse cab bolts for the front or something like that. I know I didnt halve to buy all new bolts though.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Ok, thank you

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Bolts are 1/2-13, unsure on the length.