Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Refinishing fiberglass Removable Hard Top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78GMCJIMMY, Jun 5, 2003.

1. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifLookin' For Suggestions on Refinishing the White fiberglass removable hard top on my 78' Jimmy! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifThe top is textured not smooth like the newer ones and after powerwashing it looks better (Had black mildewy spots)! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI was thinkin' of maybe a White Rhino lining(BED LINER) or similar type finish? Anyone ever done this with success? I think it would look good!And be ULTRA DURABLE!!!YEAH BUDDY!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif How about a way to smooth it out(filler and sanding)? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifAnyone done this!!Or should i give it up and look for a Used or Possibley NEW one? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifI really need the Hard top for security and Winter Driving but I want a New Updated Yet stock look!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifTHANX guys this web site is the greatest!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

The guy that I had paint my truck just knocked off the high spots and gave it a couple coats of primer to seal the fiberglass and it got painted with the truck and cleared.

[​IMG]

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Check out my thread here
    About half way through I go into the resto of my top with pic's of what I used and how it comes out.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I just took my top off yesterday and I planned on redo'ing it in a few days while the weather is nice. I planned on just sanding it down as smooth as I can get it, fixing the bad spots, and painting with a glossy black and clear coating it. Anything would look better then the faded in spots flat look. I'll take pics and post up when done. I figure get creative and anything is possible just read the label really well on what ever you use.

5. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I had the guy that upholstered the interior cover the top with canvas material like they use on limousines and he used foam in between, made it look like it is a fold down convertible top /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif looks sweeeeet! wish I had pics to post /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I had read in a previous post that someone used, I beleive, a marine product called "Astro 1000". All you have to do is roll it on with a roller and it dries like glass. My top has fiberglass strands showing and this stuff appearently seals it all. Plan to try it later this summer

7. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifNice 1st Gen K/5 Buddy! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gifDumpin' some dough into a full restoration huh! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifSweet Ride ! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifThe top looks NICE! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifRight now I'm lookin into a product called Zolotone by Dupont I believe?My brother who does body and paint work is gonna help me out and paint the top of the cab White to match the removable top when it is refinished but I need to make up my mind on the desired look! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Smooth versus Textured? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifI want a factory look for my truck as it is all original and in Great shape for a 25 year old rig. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifThe top is the only eyesore and after presure washin' it looks better but fiberglass strands are exposed and need to be sealed up.Anyway thanks for all the info and pictures of some sweet 1st and 2nd gen rides!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifYeah buddy! Yee-Haw!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Zolotone works pretty well on account it's really really thick stuff. Kinda just fills the rough areas. Do try to sand the really bad areas of your top before you do any treatment whatever you decide to do. Good luck!!

Allan