Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Refinishing Hardtop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73 K5 Blazer, Dec 11, 2001.

1. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

Has anyone refinished their hardtop. I was thinking about coating it with one of the do-it-your-self bed liners. Will I have to put a top caot over it to keep it from fadding.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you use herculiner...YES. I love herc, but it needs an anti-UV top coat to stay looking shiny like it does when you put it on. On the other hand, if you want your hard top to be FLAT black...leaving no UV top coat on it will accomplish that.

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

3. blazer74

blazer74 Member Premium Member

I sanded mine smooth with 80 grit and an vibrating sander, filled all blemishes with marglass. Shot it with build primer, sanded again finishing with 220. Another coat of build primer finishing with 400. Shot with flat white, two coats. It is a lot of work but turned out nice. Probably about 16 hours total.

4. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

I'm doin my white top with Herculiner Black.
    I'm excited already!! [​IMG] ......just my $.02

.....and oh, anyone want to donate to my "herculiner my top" fund? [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=red>81</font color=red><font color=blue>Bogger<font color=blue>
    "<font color=blue>Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view...<font color=blue>" [​IMG]