Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Refresh me, why are most beadlocks illegal for street use??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Mar 18, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Whats the deal with this, does anyone really care if you run them "illegally"?

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

There is no law in the state of Pa saying they are not legal to run on the streets. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was on the highway last friday, going to go shooting. A highway patrolman passed me, and right after he passed me he passed a hardcore F*rd Explorer with lost of lift, big tires, and beadlocks. He just kept on going. Its not like he didn't see it either, it was lifted at least 8" with about 36" tires, and is bright orange. I can't help you with why the are supposedly illegal, but all I know is that AZ DPS either doesn't care, or they know they are not illegal.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

What about with Tire shops, are there any difficulties in the mounting department?

5. Hossbaby50

Stephen was answering a question on this this mornign. He was refering to the beadlocks he sells, but he said that it is not real difficult. He did say that the prototypes he runs are a PITA to mount tires, but he said the production design of the ones he sells is alot easier. I have no first hand info, but this is was Stephen said.

6. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

was this the...<a target="_blank" href=http://www.explorer4x4.com/pumpkin_jump2_lowres.jpg>explorer</a>?

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

clicky no worky

8. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

ive been running bead locks for about 2 years and i have never been pulled over because of them. I live in oregon and they are illegal for street use but i dont think that the police are looking for bead lock wheels. the reason they are illegal is because of the bolts holding the bead on. i guess some people dont check to see if the toruqe is correct or check to see if they have a broken bolts. i check mine every time i come back from a wheelin trip and have never had a problem.however i do have a broken bolt ever once and a while so keep on top of checking the torque

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Cool, I think I'm going to go this route and take my chances. I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for them, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened! Thanks everyone!

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i would be more worried about a blow out doing 65 down the highway. I am not running them on the street cuz there is a reason they are illegal. If i was the only one at risk, fine. but as soon as you put others on the road in danger, that is irresponsible, IMHO

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

So, on a beadlock, the usual inner rim bead is absent and only the bolts hold the tire in place? I was under the impression that the beadlocks were an additional measure as opposed to an alternate measure. I agree with the safety factor, you bring up a good point that is often overlooked, as I did!

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Let's take a step back for a min, the reason why people run beadlocks is because they hold the tire on BETTER that a stock rim, if they didn't, what would be the point? On a stock rim the tire is held in place by air pressure pressing against the innner part of the rim, with a beadlock the tire is bolted (sandwiched) between the outside of the rim and the inside of the ring (lock) therefore making it very dificult to loose a bead at low air pressure. The reason why beadlocks are ilegal is that if proper maintance is not performed then the bolts could work loose and the ring could come off along with the tire. As long as you keep up with the maintance they will be fine, that is like anything though, if you drive with bald tires you run the risk of a blowout. That's my take anyway.

13. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

it was't a flame or anything like that. I am just a paranoid goof[tounge]

On the trail, if a tire let's loose it is no big thang, other than getting the monster back on/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif But i don't think you, me or anyone really have the time to check the bolts each and everytime you drive, as you would need to with beadlocks. if get a few get loose...*KA-POW*

If you are looking for an honest to gawd legal set the TireLoc system is what i am dreaming of. An it sounds safer and more reliable than beadlocks, if it as good as people are saying.

15. Hossbaby50

That looks like the one. Only the rims he had on it were all black, and were beadlocked.

16. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Beadlocks are just not approved in my understanding.

Here's a thought: if a cop is going to pull you over for beadlocks, how would he be able to tell if they were real or faux? If you're going to get pulled for real ones, so would somebody with fake beadlocks.

And then, you could always try telling the cop they are the fake ones....

17. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

I don't know exactly why they are illegal, but I have heard they are almost impossible to balance and keep balanced for street use.

I am running DOT approved Hummer beadlock rims to solve the issue.

18. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

think of it this way....if the bolts looen up from not checkin them your goin to loose a tire....if the lug nut loosen up your goin to loose a tire...so i dont see any way why they would be illegal...if they are illegal (and i have not seen and writen law stating they are) then bolt on wheels should be made illegal....haha /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what should be illeagal are those good in Late Model Fords running them on there mall runners.

Ford Guy: "I am up on the curb, am i flexing yet?!?"

Me: "No, air down...you have beadlocks" :rolleyes:

20. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Like Chaz said, you only have 6 or less lug nuts (on most cars) to loose and your whole wheel comes off. My Beadlocks have 20 bolts holding the plate on and 8 lug nuts to hold the wheel.
    The reason they are illeagal is most people don't even know to check there headlight fluid or that for a litttle more money they can get the speical halogen fluid! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    It only takes a few people to change things for everyone.
    I would not recommend them to anyone that uses there truck as a daily driver.
    We all get to busy and forget things.
    But with a trail rig, almost all of us check just about everything anyway before we go out. For those of you that don't know exactly how they mount or work, I will post some pictures so you can see. For a trail rig, I like the idea that if I rip a tire on the trail, I can fix it right there without any help.
    Ever wonder just how well some of those tire stores and the kids that work there do on tightening the lug nuts on most cars? That sounds scary to me!/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif At least I know who mounted mine, <font color=blue>ME!<font color=black>
    I know I will love mine.
    <font color=blue>Anyone want to see pictures?
    <font color=red>Drive safe.....