Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

refrigerator and below freezing temps ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Dec 24, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

will a normal stand up refrigerator be damaged in any way if its left in below freezing temps all winter ? matter if is frost free or not ? how about a 1950's style dome top one ?
    '80's square one ?

got both out there its 10 degrees out and gonna be below zero tonight again and well all winter every night basically

thanks

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

shouldn't hurt anything, maybe the moisture condensation that comes with temperature change might be the only problem!

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Technician just said don't run it when its outside that cold , could snap something in the compressor from the oil bring thick and not flowing well . I think it would cycle off if its cold and not run often :xmas::xmas:

4. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

I have heard that running them in the cold is bad for them. I've run two different ones in my garage for years without problems yet. One older and newer one. Maybe just lucky so far. Our temps here vary between -20 and 30's during the winter. Mostly 20's on the average. I guess I should probaby just unplug it for the winter.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

why would it run at all? In fact everything in it will eventually freeze if the temp outside stays below freezing.