Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Refugies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So we're getting anywhere from 500 to 2,000 NO refugies. They'll be here by 3:00 this afternoon. They're going too house alot of them at Camp Rapid in Rapid City. Camp Rapid is a National Gaurd base. I'm cleaning out the closets and taking down all the extra clothing, blankets, and what nots I have around the house.

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

We have 1000 showing up over the next day or so. We are cleaning out all out all our extra clothes, blankets, shoes, etc and hauling them down to the Salvation Army.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Good for you, it probably won't be appreciated but good for you anyway. :wink1:

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

How are you finding this out? Just word of mouth in the area?

I'm curious if we're getting any on Long Island.

5. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

I started to post my experiences here of late working at the Astrodome with the "refugees". However, since it is not a feel good story I will keep it to myself. I understand that these people have lost alot. But to treat your hosts the way they treat the volunteers at the Dome is insane.

I won't go back. Not without a direct order from the Chief of Police, and then I may refuse and get wrote up. Even at time and half it aint worth it. I bet in the 24 hr I have worked up there I didn't here one Thank you from them people. Not to me, to the volunteers providing them food, clothing and a dry place to sleep.

Ungrateful SOB's

:mad: :mad: :mad:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Coming to Cape Cod too...

We are awaiting 2500 "refugees" at Otis Air Force Base on Cape Cod too..(which is one of the bases under consideration to be CLOSED :screwy: yeah,CLOSE all our air bases and see how "secure" our homeland is :rolleyes: )

We sent out 800 national gaurd troops this morning--now 2500 people are coming in--the TV is showing how they will have their own bed,private rooms,cooking facilities,even get cheap gas at the base,and see free movies at the base's movie theater!..probably be better than where they lived before,and all at our expense!..too bad our homeless here couldn't be treated so well huh?.. :mad: (maybe now would be a good time for them to "get in line" --maybe THEY would make out,and finally get some help!.. :crazy:

I'm not a heartless bastard--but I cant help agree with some of the posts I'm reading on other message boards--questions like "how is MY kid going to learn in school if 50+ kids are in each class now,and half of the "refugees" wont feel like learning,and will disrupt classes--not to mention the folks pissed they have to PAY for their kids lunches,but the refugees get fed for free..One person asked "If I offer up my home for shelter,HOW do I KNOW this person really IS a refugee from LA??-All they have to say is "I lost all my identification"--how can you really know if its a true refugee,or just some local wino looking for a free home?... :doah:

This is going to "F" up the WHOLE COUNTRY,not just the areas nearby that offered to help,like Texas and Arkansas--now Houston and Dallas have a whole new population to deal with,overnight!..I can bet 95% of the ones they bring here wont ever leave--but will collect welfare as long as possible instead..like we didn't have enough ghetto people already.. :doah:

I've been watching footage on TV since it hit--and "oldassjeep" has a point--I hear a lot of complaining,but not many "thank you's"...seeing how the residents acted,looting,raping,and murdering,I dont blame the "help" for not wanting to rush there in a way..I know a lot of innocent,hardworking decent people live there too--but the ones who pillaged the place should be left to rot there as far as I'm concerned... :mad:

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Our came in this weekend . We are putting them up at the state fairgrounds in Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix .

Wife and I already donated a few bucks . Not much more I can do . We live in AZ and don't really have any extra blankets etc .

I heard some could stay and take on jobs for upcoming fairs and events .

This what a refugee has to say about us down in the AZ :D :

Sept. 5: Richard Adams, an evacuee from New Orleans, catches a nap in front of the shelter at the Veterans Coliseum Monday. Adams said he was rescued by helicopter and that people in Phoenix were "killing us with kindness. That's the truth, that's the truth, they're feeding us too much."

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Living down here i can tell you that there is a lot of "entitlement" attitude in NOLA. Not the best attitude to have when in need of help.

As to the school problem, We have already got students registering and attending (as of today) local schools. It has not been a problem yet and many parishes (counties) are going to simply open new schools when overcrowding becomes a problem.

As a final thought, folks from NOLA won't stay long up north - too cold - so you probably won't have to worry for long.

9. diesel4me

Too cold???

Too cold you say??...hmmm..then how come 25,000 Cape Verdians,and a lot of Aisians and Puerto Ricans moved here in the last 20 years,and have yet to leave??..I'm not complaining,--just can't understand why someone would move from a tropical island paradise as far as weather,to come here and freeze your nuts off six months of the year??.(it must be because they can get welfare ,and cocaine sells better here! :thinking: :dunno: :screwy: )

.I wish I could move to a warmer place myself!--it got down to 47 here last night--depessed the hell out of me,knowing summer is over,and the days are getting shorter already..winter is far too long,physically demanding, and boring here.. :( :crazy:

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My mother works for a company in the mental health field. They are sending out councelers this afternoon. She read it in a company email and told me about it. So I called Camp Rapid too see what all they could use. Clothing is #1 right now.

11. diesel4me

false alarm...

Now the TV reports the "guests" (cant call displaced americans "refugees" anymore--not PC! :rolleyes: )..wont be coming to Otis AFB after all--but the base remains on "standby"..seems many of the "guests" didn't want to be moved so far from home,other family,etc..I heard PA and NJ might be "off" the list in favor of other locations closer to LA also... :crazy:

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe I shouldn't speak for everyone, but I personally like our sub-tropical climate and can not stand very cold weather. I won't get down to 47 here until december, if then.

13. diesel4me

I dont blame them for refusing..

If I lived where it was warm 90% of the year,I dont think I'd want to be moved to MA either!--the "displaced americans" probably saw the cost of living up here and how long and cold winter is,and said "No thanks--I'll stay in New Orleans!.(most of them didn't want to be so far from family,or where they were used to living)...that,and the thought of living in an Air Force base would likely put quite a damper on any partying..It must suck to be living in a house of your own one day--and the next its completely gone,along with everything you owned..and you find yourself living in a military base on a cot,and can;t even go for a beer.. :eek1: :( :yikes: :yikes: