Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

refurbing the tail lenses

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Jun 26, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i dont want Euro tails, but i want the stocks ones to looke a little cleaner...any way to spruce them up?

2. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Probably someone will relay to you a slick and clever way to refurb lenses but it's been my experience that once they get all faded and ucky lookin that they just need to be replaced. I remember seein some on Ebay and I don't think they were very expensive. Good luck.

Allan

3. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

You can get them for $20 per side from Pep Boys, and they look and fit great. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont want Euro tails, but i want the stocks ones to looke a little cleaner...any way to spruce them up?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in Europe and I was restoring a K5 I found some transparent red paint that I sprayed on them made them look like new.
    I also did another set with transparent black, made some nice blackout lenses.
    Looked black but when you turn the light on, it's red.
    I don't know if you can find those here.

5. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

you can polish them out with a very light polish compound. i have even heard of guys using cheap toothpaste. just enough grit to smooth them and freshen up the surface. 3m has a plastic polish that works wonders, but costs an arm and a leg.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you can polish them out with a very light polish compound. i have even heard of guys using cheap toothpaste. just enough grit to smooth them and freshen up the surface. 3m has a plastic polish that works wonders, but costs an arm and a leg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I polished mine but the color was faded and the plastic was dry and cracking, and I have a feeling his ~30 y.o. lenses are the same.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    You can get them for $20 per side from Pep Boys, and they look and fit great. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, thats where I have been getting mine. Auto zone can get them but they have to order them. They are not too bad. I have bought 4 sets of them (rocks are hard on tail lights /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

8. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i got mine from autozone for 15.99. they were the same price at O'Rileys that was about 3 months a go. the ones i saw on ebay wanted a shipping fee and a separate handling fee and they cost more than they were in the store.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I prefer the brain waddell approach.... bob the bed, fab a flat steel tail-end and mount super el cheapo (easy/cheap to replace if they somehow break!) trailer lights from a parts store. They are out of the way of rocks, they are cheap, and they work. Not much more you can ask for...

j

10. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Somebody told me once to put dirty taillights in a dishwasher - don't know if this would work or not - you try it and let us know! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

$10 each at O'Reillys

12. Mike80K5

Mike80K5 Newbie

I ordered replacement lenses from LMC Truck for about $12.50 each. Also removed the housings, cleaned them up, and spraypainted them chrome. The parking and brake lights are a lot brighter now. LMC's website is www.lmctruck.com

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I BUFF them....and they look MINT!!!!

I used a buffing pad on my DA sander...
    and used 3M Heavy Duty Rubbing compound.

$10 or $15 bucks for a AFTERMARKET is cheap...
    But I never paid more than $10 a pair at a swap meet or junk yard!!!

Help keep manufacturing in USA!!! Don't buy cheap Chinese Junk!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 82whitek5blazer

82whitek5blazer Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I ordered replacement lenses from LMC Truck for about $12.50 each. Also removed the housings, cleaned them up, and spraypainted them chrome. The parking and brake lights are a lot brighter now. LMC's website is www.lmctruck.com

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok so can you paint the inside, behind the gauges to make them light up brighter?? My gauges dont light up very bright. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif 82-diesel

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Mrtaillight.com, I picked up both taillights with chrome rings, front side markers with chrome trim, the quad headlight bezels, and taillight housings for $65 shipped and I literally had them the next day! Greay guy, alot of cool stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Is MrTailLight still in business? I get errors when trying to access the site. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Dont know, I bought a complete set about 2 months ago
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

19. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I buffed my harley tail lights and they looked new afterwards. Since I was restoring my 68 Electra Glide I wanted to use as many of the original parts as possible so I bought a 3/4hp bench top buffer and it works great. I polished all of my aluminum and stainless stuff..it looks like new