Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REGEAR YOUR TRUCK!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Highjaxx, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

First let me thank all the people that helped me, without you guys I wouldn't know any of this stuff. If I offend someone, I'm sorry, I'm probley trying to be funny. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

I've read some many "gear question" posts my eyes are about to bleed. So I was going to throw my opinion into the board, maybe this will be used as a tech article. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I have to say that regearing was the best performance upgrade I've done to my truck yet. I would recommend it be the first thing anyone do to their truck. Go ahead and put some 5.13's in some one ton axles, you'll be glad later. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif If you have gears in some axles ready to swap in, then go with that until you get tired of it.If you have a diesel or big block, and no overdrive then just drop one gear choice down from the suggested.

There is a lot of debate about gear choice vs. tire size.

If you have an offroad only vehicle, get as low as you can go, unless doing baja in which case you shouldn't be reading this. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

If you are going to regear, and have near stock tires, or only plan slight upgrades in future; then you should put at least 4.10's. You'll probley wind-up with bigger tires later anyway.

If you have 35's without overdrive then I would get 4.56's(2849RPM@65MPH), I know you'll get bigger tires later. If you have overdrive then get at least 4.88's(2131) or just go ahead and get the 5.13's(2240).

I've got a 700R4, 4.88's, and 36's. I ran it for a little while with 35's. The 4.88's with 35's where fine(2131RPM@65MPH), I wish I'd gone with 5.13's since I'll be getting my bigger tires SOON. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I hate when people tell me what gears to run..

when I had the following setup...

350/turbo350/np203/3.73 & 33's I drove around and had fun.. barely ever stuck with open rears...

then I went to
    350/smc465/np205/4.56's & 33's got better gas mileage and tons of power.. still barely ever got stuck..

now I have 40's and tell ya what.. Im not gonna re-gear... My truck isnt on the road yet.. but I already spun the tires in the driveway and my rear detroit hooked up and I spun them in 1st... not low.. 1st and truck seems to have TONS of power still.....

whenever I hear someone recommend gears.. it is always overkill to me.... 5:13 is the most said.. even for 35's.... all I got to say is... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hate when people tell me what gears to run..

350/turbo350/np203/3.73 & 33's I drove around and had fun.. barely ever stuck with open rears...

then I went to
    350/smc465/np205/4.56's & 33's got better gas mileage and tons of power.. still barely ever got stuck..

now I have 40's and tell ya what.. Im not gonna re-gear... My truck isnt on the road yet.. but I already spun the tires in the driveway and my rear detroit hooked up and I spun them in 1st... not low.. 1st and truck seems to have TONS of power still.....

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you should re gear! at least 5.13s. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

See, you bought the 4.56's for your nonoverdrive trans, just like I said. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    hate when people tell me what gears to run..

then I went to

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you should re gear! at least 5.13s. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinkin more of mog axles.. portal 7:32 ( or whatever it is.. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif)

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I had overdrive, I'd go abslutely nuts with gear. If it wasn't turning 2600-2800 in O/D @ 65, I'd add more gear.

7. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Thats right I forgot.

Get a Dana 60 Front, and a Dana 80 Rear with 7.17 gears. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe in keeping the RPM's low when in OD because that is it's purpose, to help save gas and if it's geared too low than it defeats the whole purpose of OD. People will make the argument that with OD you can then choose a lower ratio but by that you are just substituting OD for 3rd to be able to keep top speed but that means that OD will need to be used more often and short live an auto. If it's a DD than I always say don't gear it any lower than you would if you had a non OD tranny so that way you can still actually use OD for lowering highway RPM's like how it's supposed to be used.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Actually that thought is false. Under-gearing your truck so it spends less time in O/d will put more stress and heat into the transmission than having it geared correctly or slightly over-geared. That is why those of us who have been doing this a while suggest lower gears than those that are somewhat new to this. Once you change a little, you always want more, and those gear charts you see everywhere were made for non-OD transmissions.

IMO a gas engine should cruise at 2200-2400 minimum in a lifted truck. Any less than that and the engine will be chugging and working hard, which will lower vacuum, and lower fuel economy.

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually that thought is false. Under-gearing your truck so it spends less time in O/d will put more stress and heat into the transmission than having it geared correctly or slightly over-geared. That is why those of us who have been doing this a while suggest lower gears than those that are somewhat new to this. Once you change a little, you always want more, and those gear charts you see everywhere were made for non-OD transmissions.

IMO a gas engine should cruise at 2200-2400 minimum in a lifted truck. Any less than that and the engine will be chugging and working hard, which will lower vacuum, and lower fuel economy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have been at this just as long or longer than you have. It all depends on each and every truck, my motor makes a lot more torque than the usuall stock 350 and at a much lower RPM, my 406 loves OD at about 1600-1800 RPM's. I get a considerable drop in fuel mileage when I run highway speeds in 3rd at 2500 RPM or so. A th700 works harder in OD than it does in 3rd, thats why you shouldn't run in 4th without lockup because it slips too much. I have found that being locked in 3rd is the best around town and I'm glad I don't have to hit 4th just to stay with traffic on a 1 or 2 mile stretch at 50-60 just to pull it down again back into 3rd.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have been at this just as long or longer than you have. It all depends on each and every truck, my motor makes a lot more torque than the usuall stock 350 and at a much lower RPM, my 406 loves OD at about 1600-1800 RPM's. I get a considerable drop in fuel mileage when I run highway speeds in 3rd at 2500 RPM or so. A th700 works harder in OD than it does in 3rd, thats why you shouldn't run in 4th without lockup because it slips too much. I have found that being locked in 3rd is the best around town and I'm glad I don't have to hit 4th just to stay with traffic on a 1 or 2 mile stretch at 50-60 just to pull it down again back into 3rd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you'd ever had lower gears, you'd feel differently.

Your 400 with those heads makes about the same torque as a 350. If it had a decent set of heads with slightly larger valves that would be a valid arguement, but in your case it is not.

1600 RPMs @ 65 in a lifted truck is barely chugging down the road. Even a big block would have a hard time pushing a truck down the road at that RPM, and in doing so, you'd be on the gas more, vacuum and fuel economy would suffer.

You'd be shocked at how much better your truck would feel if it wasn't choking itself all the time with those 4.10s. When I had 4.10s and 35s with a 700R4 it was great for flat ground, but if I hit a hill I found myself into the throttle a little bit more to make the hill. I'd imagine in steeper terrian this would be FAR worse. 4.56s should be bare minimum for 35s without O/d, if not 4.88.

12. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

does this mean that your ready to finish rebuilding that d60 thats in my shop? you know i've got anther blazer i can just put it under /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13. metalbonde

metalbonde Registered Member

so a th 700 going in & out of lockup in OD will not live for long?

it's not fun with a 350/700 32" and 2:73's , dog is the word /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Sounds like good advice to me, I know I would rather have lower than 4.10's and 35's, although with a BB it does ok and turns around 2800 on the freeway. Off road is when you want more though, and anyone who hits the rocks now and then would much rather have those 5.13's, esp in older trucks with only a 2:1 low range.

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

Your 400 with those heads makes about the same torque as a 350. If it had a decent set of heads with slightly larger valves that would be a valid arguement, but in your case it is not.

1600 RPMs @ 65 in a lifted truck is barely chugging down the road.

[/ QUOTE ] That is by far the stupidest wad of BS I have ever heard in my life! (sound familiar? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

You obviously have never owned or driven a 400. They are much torqueyer than a 350 not to mention I have a good cam, compression, intake, carb, headers, and ignition upgrades.
    Not to mention I have had both my old stock 350 and built 406 on the dyno. You may have your torque theory but the chassis dyno had way different results than your theory. I made roughly 100HP more and well over 100 ft lbs of torque than the old 350 with my 406 and that was with 3/4 gear, 4.10's, boggers, and an unlocked th700. The 350 run had 10B's, 3.73's, stock 29's, and an unlocked th700. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

YOu are totally missing the point, I would like lower gears but not something like 5.13's...that would be a waist in OD because I don't need to turn 2500-2700 RPM's at 55-65mph and waist gas when the motor is perfectly happy at 1800-2000. Not to mention when towing and OD isn't an option....the motor would be screaming at 3200 RPMs or so with 5.13's when 2500-2700RPM's in direct drive delivers plenty of torque to cruise and pull slight hills pulling a load. If I was going to do a gear swap I would probably go with 4.56's.

16. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Ya, I need to come out and hose off that housing.

My friend is getting his Bronco towed up soon, we're going to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I just need to come up with the rest of the parts.

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I hate when people tell me what gears to run..

then I went to

whenever I hear someone recommend gears.. it is always overkill to me.... 5:13 is the most said.. even for 35's.... all I got to say is... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on that. I have 38's and 4.10s, I work at a gear shop, gearing is not a hassle to me, however, I have no need for lower gears. I never use 1st gear, its still too low, it would be ridiclous with lower gears, and in OD im doin 1800rpm at 70mph, and it pulls. Gets it loose just fine if I do say so myself! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif