Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

regearing a 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jacksprat1599, Sep 10, 2004.

1. jacksprat1599

jacksprat1599 Registered Member

I have an 89 suburban that I would like to put 35s on.Through reading the posts here it sounds like I want to go with 4.88's.My plan is to find a junkyard 10 bolt from an 89 thru 91 truck so I can stay 30 spline with the axles and do the gears myself.I have never done gears before so thats why I want to try setting up new gears on an axle that I don't need back in service right away.Does anyone no of a good book or manual that covers gear instalation,preferably on GM axles? What brand of gears do you guys recommend? Am I getting in over my head on this one?Any help would be greatly appreiciated,I have learned alot from readig all you fellas posts.I know some guys are going to say go 14 bolt, but I really don't need it.My truck is 98% pavement and my offroading is mainly just camping but the tires would be nice to keep my Burbs butt out of the dirt.Besides do you really need a reason to want a lift and bigger tires?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: re geraring a 10 bolt

You're getting in over your head. I would attempt my own gears, but I wouldn't suggest it to a person who isn't really into this stuff.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have become a 1/2 ton guy , and would reccomend that for a Blazer on 35's , but in your case with a Heavy Sub , I would get a 14bsf or 14bff .

The only reason I would say this is because my buddies 10 bolt 30 spline axle , on 31's , bent off road and soon wore his bearings out .

I would say do it if you have a K5 and run 35's but not in a Sub /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

ya, I know alot of guys who will do EVERYTHING themselves on there truck....from fabing up spring hangers and bed mounted shock hoops and everything else you could imagine...but they WILL NOT touch there gears!! Proper gear setup is critical in the life of yer differential!! I'd say either find someone who knows how or get it done by a shop....about the farthest I would go...is to just do the front end since it only gets used while in 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Hope this helps. I've rebuilt two and haven't had any problems before I read this article...so it isn't that hard, but then again I don't beat the baby bejesus out of my trucks either...

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/

6. jacksprat1599

Thanks for that article!I don"t feel so intimidated anymore.I still would like to know who you guys would buy a gear and install kit from and is 4.88 right for a suburban with overdrive and 35's?

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Btw since you live in austin come check out www.austink5.com its a local forum that is here is austin. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't go 4.88.. The lowest I would go is 4.56. The pinion starts getting to small. and you are carring a lot more wait in the burb.. My first K5 I did 4.56 in the 10 bolts.. But I just went with 33's it was a nice setup..

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't go 4.56 with overdrive in a rig with 35s. Not enough gear.

10. gokartergo

It's better then 3.73 you can't have everything if you want to stay with the 10 bolts.. The pinion is to small. for the wieght of a burb.. and towing if he is going to.. and you telling him..
    [ QUOTE ]
    You're getting in over your head. I would attempt my own gears, but I wouldn't suggest it to a person who isn't really into this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ] You don't now what he is capabale of.. I would not do a gear install.. I have seen a few done.. But I am the first to admit I am not a mech.. But I have seen plenty of other people do it with no problems..If he reads up on it he could probably do it..

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have become a 1/2 ton guy , and would reccomend that for a Blazer on 35's , but in your case with a Heavy Sub , I would get a 14bsf or 14bff .

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll second that. i built up my 10bolts with 4.56 gears and 33's and i think its just right. for a heavy sub i would go 4.88, but not in a 10b. if your stuck on doing a 10b stay with 4.56. i just dont trust those small pinions.

even if you only drive on the street i still think the 10b is a bad idea. i dont know why they even put them under subs. just loading all your camping gear and passengers probly would overload it.

by the way if you regear the rear youll have to do the front, unless you never want to use 4wd again. so to do it like you want to and get a junkyard axle, you'd have to get a front axle as well.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You don't now what he is capabale of.. I would not do a gear install.. I have seen a few done.. But I am the first to admit I am not a mech.. But I have seen plenty of other people do it with no problems..If he reads up on it he could probably do it..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of those things, if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it.

Sure he can attempt it. I'll be doing mine sometime soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anybody can do it. It can't be any harder than building an engine. Maybe more frustrating, but not any more difficult.

13. gokartergo

Then Tim. You shouldn't do it either.. Cuse your going to ask somebody a quistion on it..

14. jacksprat1599

Thanks for the link

15. jacksprat1599

you are right about the front axle I thought I would start with the rear just to see if I am capable enough to get the job done.

16. jacksprat1599

It seems that the majority believes the 10 bolt to be to weak for the light uses that I have in mind.So, what does a used or junkyard 14 bolt go for?Let me know what some of you guys have paid to have a pro do your gears.

17. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

expect to pay between 50 and 250 for a used 14b.
    look in your local recylcer/trader magazine for better deals than the junkyards.if you get one out of a 3/4 ton, it'll have the spring pads in the right location. but 1 tons will have larger rear brakes, i think.

regearing an axle usually costs between 3 to 5 hundred for labor depending on the shop. 4wp qouted me 425 for the rear and 475 for the front . parts(gears and bearings,install kit)figure on 2-4 hundred .

i did both my axles with the help of a seasoned pro mechanic. i wouldnt have attempted it by myself. i think the rear is more critical than the front causs your always turning that one, and going 75 mph on the freeway you want those gears set up perfect.

if you wanted to try it, i'd do a front axle before you try doing a rear. just causs its less critical.

maybe if you find a cool axle guy he'll let you watch him do the rear. then with that knowledge you could attempt the front.

18. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hope this helps. I've rebuilt two and haven't had any problems before I read this article...so it isn't that hard, but then again I don't beat the baby bejesus out of my trucks either...

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice article, it makes it look easy.
    In the article after everything was set and he was installing the differential for the final time, he says
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tighten down the bearing caps to 60 ft pounds using a 5/8. Socket. You could recheck backlash again, but everything should be so tight that it is probably impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Does this mean that the pinion will be very hard to turn?

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You don't turn the pinion when you check backlash. You simply put the dial indicator on the ring gear and, "rock" it in the housing to find out how much play there is between ring and pinion.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Just remember that gears can be a pretty costly mistake.