Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

regearing axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CenTxk5blazer, Apr 22, 2003.

1. CenTxk5blazer

CenTxk5blazer Registered Member

I've never regeared an axle before, how hard is it?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Dropping new gears in your axle is relatively easy aside from getting the larger pinion nuts free. Setting the gearing up with the right backlash and pattern is rather difficult and not very friendly to error in the long run. A lot of trail only rigs get away with shade tree installs, a daily driver is best left to a profesional with the right tools and know how to set it up right, the first time. Getting an axle regeared can run you anywhere from $400 to $800 at a shop.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Theres some special tools required. It also depends on what kind of axle, some are harder than others.

4. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

what axles do you have and what gears do you have ? Also what gears do you want to go to?....Jason /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. CenTxk5blazer

CenTxk5blazer Registered Member

right now I have the stock 10's, I don't know the ratio yet, and am running 33's now and will eventually go to 35's. I was thinking of going to a 4.10 or 4.56 ratio.