Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Regearing my speedo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 27, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to regear my speedo? Its an 84 K5 with SM465 and a 208. Still has stock 2.73 gears with my 33" tires. Yeah I know that gear + those tires is a wow thing. Got a ticket for 15 over in a 35 tonight. My speedo was sitting somewhere around 40-45 when I got nailed. I have 5 points on my license and the 3 that this ticket is worth will put me 2 over the limit of 6 on a junior license(17 for 2 more months and was only 3 months from a full year without an incident meaning take 2 points off... YAY!) I can take a points test but that will still drop me down to 6 and mean 90 day suspension I believe. GOnna try and fight it on the points and pay the fine, need to regear my speedo so I can take that in as my evidence. I never realized how off my speedo is.

2. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

2.73's and 33" tires, that thing must have a top end of about 150mph /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I believe the speedo gear is in the transfer case. I am interested as I will be doing this also when I get my BF's

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have hit 100 at that point it is mildly scary and yes it is dumb to do 100 in a vehicle like a k5. There is a slight vibration at 100 mph and well if anything went wrong at that speed it wouldn't be good so I don't go that fast anymore. Only done it twice.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I can't help you with the speedo thing.

Just install a tach, follow someone at several speeds, 20,25,30,etc. write down what the tach reads and BINGO, instant "new" speedo. It doesn't take long to memorize what RPM's are what speed either....Just a thought....

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

correct btu I can't go into a courtroom with that, it won't help me out. My dad says there is a speedo shop nearby, I will take it to them. will look better to have a shop do it rather than myself.

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

True, tell them your combo, maybe they can get you the correct set of gears....maybe not, that ends up being a pretty high ratio though....

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

closer is better than about 12 mph off.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are multiple speedometer calculators online also, so if you want to play around with it yourself, you'll have to know the drive/driven gears that are in there now, and what size tires the vehicle had stock.