Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Regearing-swapping just the pinion?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Apr 8, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

This probably doesnt work... but my autoshop teach counted the gears in my 12b to see what ratio it was because I had to regear the front to be the same and it turned out to be 4.56. Well I popped the cover today to get out a bolt I had broken in it and just for the hell of it counted everything. 41 to 10...thats not right i thought...thats 4.10. So I counted again...and again...and again...still got 4.10. But now my front is 4.56 :doah:. So could I just swap in a pinion with 9 teeth?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Nope, gearsets are matched.

3. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

what he said.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The numbers are also stamped on the edge of the ring gear... just for if you don't like counting.

5. lochenjons

Yeah I saw them when me and my teacher were looking at them and it said 4.10 somewhere in there. And he was like oh well lets count anyway to make sure :doah:

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Different ratios are "matched" in the fact that the pinion gear has to be a different diameter to have a different number of teeth...the gear teeth are the same size so obviously one with more teeth will be larger in diameter than one with less teeth. The ring gears are then thinner or thicker so they mate up with the pinion gears properly.

7. lochenjons

Is having 4.10 in the rear and 4.56 up front close enough that it wont be too much of a problem untill i get another axle or regear the one i have?

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Don't run it in 4WD, no.

4.09:1 and 4.10:1 are close enough, but 4.10:1 and 4.56:1 are ~11% difference, which is like the difference between 33" and 37" tires :eek:

-- A

9. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

NO. i would never run two different ratios, even offroad. in loose mud and stuff, you could get away with it, but it's just not wise. in your case, i just get this mental picture of the faster-spinning rear tires trying to run up and hit the slower front ones, resulting in an upside down k5 taco. but, since i'm sure neither you nor your truck is a cartoon that probably won't happen, exactly.

of course, there's always putting larger tires on the front to bring the final ratios near equal. that would look really cool. :haha:

just do it right and avoid the headache. my $.02

10. lochenjons

Lame, I figured. Well that sucks, so much for my hollister hills trip in a couple days. Anyone got a 4.56 10/12b?

11. Speedo

Speedo 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There's more to it than that, even though you might have two gear sets for the same model axle and the same ratio you cannot mix up the gears. Gears are lapped as a pair and need to stay as a matched set. Dana usually stamps a three digit number on the ring gear and the matched pinion will have the same number etched on the end of the pinion, this number is called the pinion mate number.

Gus

12. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

This was your teacher that made the mistake? No, it was you who made the mistake! Lesson learned. Been there done that.

13. lochenjons

Normally I'd agree, and dont get me wrong here I'm not putting my teacher down at all, I definately respect my teach and he has crazy skills, but I wasnt the one that counted it, I probably should have too but oh well :o. I just turned the wheel. It doesnt matter awhole lot since I'd rather have 4.56 anyway, now I just gotta find an axle.