Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

regearing/temporary driveshaft removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5kraze, Jun 30, 2000.

1. k5kraze

k5kraze Registered Member

I want to change the 3.08 gears in my 78 K5 to 4.11 or 4.56 to compensate for 35-inchers.
    Due to the fact that this is a daily driver and I need to get to work, I plan to change the gears on the rear axle
    first and finish the front later, as time (read: money) allows.
    My question:
    May I damage anything in the NP203 if i just lock it in 4HI (H-loc position on the shifter) and drive around for a few days (weeks ?) with the front driveshaft removed?

Thanks in advance!

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Should not hurt a thing.
    I had a cousin you used to remove the front shaft on his 203 equipped work truck during the summer in order to get a little better gas mileage and save wear on the front tires. He kept the shaft in the bed and would install it if it got muddy out.....and people complain about having to lock in manual hubs...hehe

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

The NP203 is not designed to run with one shaft off. I had to go about 90 miles with my rear shaft off and it will work. However, it would pop out of gear if I tried to go over 60mph. For a few days and without any hard starts you should be ok. I wouldn't run it for a month.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've put over 40,000 hard miles on my 203 with it in hi-lock and have had zero problems, this includes 5 coast to coast trips, 2 pulling trailers. I have 35's and 4:10's, I think this is the best ratio unless you have overdrive.