Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. Scott Drechsler

Scott Drechsler Newbie

Why do people need to regear?

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

When you go to bigger tires, you need a lower RPM to go a certain speed. Say your at 3000 at 50 mph, but you go to 35's. Then your at 2500 at 50mph. If you make most of your power at higher RPM's, then your out of the power range, and you lose power, because the RPM's aren't high enough. Putting lower gears in brings the RPM's back up, making your truck work in the power band.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by freeforever on 04/22/01 07:17 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Many different reasons... maybe you have crappy 3.08's in your truck like me... which actually get terrible gas milage because you have to floor it to move from a stop light and then the motor lugs on the freeway in OD. Also people may one to adjust for larger size tires which need steeper gearing to keep the engine in it's powerband... or they simply might only offroad in it and wish to have more power crawling at lower speeds. I'm sure there are about as many resons as there are gear swaps.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI