Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Registered or Offroad only?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dandwg, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

Well I was just wondering if a lot of CK5 memebers ahve their trucks registered for daily driving or if they are Offroad use only.
    The reason I was wondering this is because I might not want to put in the work and MONEY to get my truck registered for the street. I would rather just strip the doors and fenders and modify her for totall offroad use. I haven't done too much inquiring at the DMV about OFV registration yet.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If you get a green sticker, you've got to have the tow rig to haul it around everywhere....................

3. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

Well, I have another truck to drive around a 2000 (sorry guys!) Ford F 150 4x4, So I won't really need to drive my Blazer in town...

4. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I was talking about this with some guys this weekend. Somebody mentioned that some parks only allow registered vehicles to prevent all out machines from being trailered in. Not sure the extent of the truth to this or if it would even affect you, but its something to consider.

And what if the nonregistered rig is parked behind the DD in the driveway when you really want some ice cream? Then you gotta move it to get the DD out,PITA. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I'm naked!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

And I'm naked!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Registered. No inspections here anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. blackmule

blackmule Registered Member

if i were you i would keep it legal for those days when you want to cruze in the blazer and well haul the other days, no doors in wisconsin is fine with the law no idea about there. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

In CA, a rig with a green sticker is allowed into state parks.

9. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

I thought at least a motor vehicle registration was required for travel across National Forest lands?? Either way I would want to take her down to DQ once and awhile to hang out!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    And I'm naked!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is no sense in building a full bodied rig unless it's going to be street legal. Build a buggy if you don't want to register it. Less weight, less breakage, less width, and more fun.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

RE" Wrath's post

A modified quote -

"God see's what you're doing every minute RJ, he know's your sinning!"

"God watches me in the bathroom?"

"Don't go judging god RJ"

Oh, and putting "thread comment pictures" in thread is very lame. In my opinion. No offense. Sissy.

Oh and to add to the topic, move.

SD has no realy truck related laws, no tail lights over 6' is the only one I know of

I imagine an off road only truck would be a pain in the ass to get anywhere, because if it touches street you're illegal, plus any off road rig is fun to drive on the street occasionally.

13. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Mine is registered and its great to see the peoples faces when it is going down the freewway and actually passing some people. then again the laws around here are, well, there arent too many

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and putting "thread comment pictures" in thread is very lame. In my opinion. No offense. Sissy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well, so is saying you be naked mon. I think it's funny. If you don't, go back to wanking it. No offense. Sissy.

It's very easy to get even an open-wheeled vehicle registered and street legal in Michigan. IE: My Dad's sandrail is actually street legal and has passed inspection. It's surprisingly easy to throw a vehicle on a trailer even for short distances.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For National Forests, a vehicle must be street legal and registered, at least fo use on logging roads. This actually means 4 wheelers are not allowed, nor are bikes that aren't street legal. (not that it doesn't happen all the time, just not legal)

Once you are off any sort of "declared" road, I don't believe any of that applies.

Around here, I've heard of some of the ORV areas now requiring rigs to be "street legal" (registration, tags, etc) which seems absolutely stupid, but then again, look what state I live in.

16. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

There isn't much public land available for wheeling in this part of the country, but there are a lot of privately owned ORV parks. Most of those ORV parks require you to be tagged, registered and insured (or at least a portion of these) to gain access to their park. It's basically done to lower the property owner's liability. However, on the other side of that equation it doesn't take quite as much to get a vehicle registerd over here as it does in CA. Especially in AL, all that is required is a bill of sale. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Anyways, can you still get auto insurance on a non-street legal vehicle (ie un-registered, un-tagged) and if so are the rates comparable to a street driven vehicle? I understand CA has some special provisions for ORV only vehicles to become (I guess) "registered", but humor me, we don't encounter anything like that around here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Lance

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

registered and insured, there isn't enough places close by to have something to trailer. if i feel like going wednesday night,i want to jump in and go. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif