Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Registering a business name?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 30, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone know whats involved with it? How long does it last? A friend and I were discussing things last night and we both thought for me to register the name of my company now would be a good idea. When his business gets going he could basically sublet me to do the work he needs done. So anyway, anyone know how you go about it?

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think it would be different from stste to state you may try your county courthouse for info

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It ciast me $10 to register my compuyter business and get a liscence

That's in SD though. It's forever as far as I know.

Try and find your state's website for more info. Mine had a lot of helpful stuff.

Maybe www.pa.gov is it, mine is www.sd.gov

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i did it in here in canada, went to a local office, and filled in a form on the computer, 60 bucks, an other 8 if you want to do a search for the name to see if it is in use, it is ok if it is unless you or it is incorperated.

the licence lasts 5 or 6 years, and they then send all they extra tax stuff to you too

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Secretary of State handles that in most states. And alomst all have websites with good info.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats my only worry, I'd like to go about registering the name so its registered and its mine, not that I think anyone would be stealing the name(since it includes my last name), but I'm nowhere near ready to have the company going yet. So would I be paying taxes on nothing? Also incorporating costs a fair bit doesn't it? I ask because well the company name would be REALLY cool with an "inc." on the end.

PA's site was fairly helpful, I see it costs $60 and I could do it online, but the tax situation worries me at the moment. You know, would I be paying taxes on a company thats not doing anything and likely won't be for a year or more? That and it will likely start in our backyard garage which, is not zoned commercially. Our old house was commercially zoned but Dad didn't think ahead to go through that on the new house.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The zoning is only an issue if you are actually conducting business. If anyone bitches, get a PO box and list the mailing address.

Taxes are usually the same. No revenue - no taxes.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

good call, thanks

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah every 4 months when the tax think came i would fill it in all zeros and mail it back year or two of that I get a letter stateing i will be audited becauce of it unless i can explane my self, quick letter never hurd from it again.

dont inc, anything it is big busness and cost way more only done with a lawer ect.

you can oporate a busness under your own name no problem,.

I can run a busness under dave kelly, and i don't have to redgester.
    if i were to run it as dave kelly enterprizes, i would then have to redgester the busness