Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

registering a hot rod in cali

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by PeteH, Mar 4, 2004.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

thinking that i want to build a classic hot rod in the future.
    body-most likely a f*rd, my own frame, no fenders and a bbc.
    but how would i get it registered as some sort of vintage vehicle to run fenderless and with a newer engine? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    my main concern would be getting it registered with the bbc, i could always have small fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am not sure about Cali. In AZ I have seen a guy in town with an all steel Ford t-bucket. He told them it was a 1927 and was able to get a vin number issued by the state, no emissions testing needed for a 27 . He said he made the body , but he could of been fibbing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Good question. It would be a kit car, so how would you do that?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    It would be a kit car, so how would you do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

A good starting point would be to look online at the California DMV. If its anything like AZ you could find all the rules etc online. For that matter most states should have all their laws online by now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I would also talk to any locals you see on cruises, at hangouts etc. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Call your local DMV or county sheriff's dept. You should be able to get the info you need that way.

6. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Absolute easiest way is to find a cowl panel with the VIN tag attached (even nicer if you can get the title as well), incorporate that into your car and your all set. Legally it's whatever the VIN tag says it is (age wise)

Another method along the same lines is look for an old junker body (they are on ebay all the time for anywhere from a $100 on up) and do the same as above, use the VIN plate and register that way plus you get whatever body parts you would like to use from the original.

[ QUOTE ]
    thinking that i want to build a classic hot rod in the future.
    body-most likely a f*rd, my own frame, no fenders and a bbc.
    but how would i get it registered as some sort of vintage vehicle to run fenderless and with a newer engine? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    my main concern would be getting it registered with the bbc, i could always have small fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

7. buckshot33

buckshot33 Registered Member

OK, this is a tricky situation in CA. I went through this with a 34 F*rd fiberglass Kit. CA calls them "special construction" vehicles. smog is required and this is how it works. what ever year engine you put in the beast is the year of the smog equipment required (this is regardless of the 1973 roll back date because the car is considered the year in which your first register it. in mycase, 1998). for instance, we first had a 1972 (pre 73 but still requires smog) 350 chevy. the referee told us to put a smog pump on it and we told him to stick it in his ear. We went out and our engine builder just happened to have a 1964 corvette 327 block. this was the hot ticket because this is pre smog pump days (66 and later). we built it and we still had to put a spark arrester in the air cleaner, and a pcv was absolutely required. Allthough they couldnt put it on the roller dyno they still put the stinger in the tail pipe. Is this sounding rediculous yet? now, what the base the year of the block off of is the casting number. Our 327' coded out to be 1964 or earlier so we were ok. if you have a later model 350 block 3970010 for example it was made from like 1969 to 80. if the block is decked he will try to smog it as an 80. if you still have the code behind the alternator, you can prove what ever year it is, say a 69 vette 350 or something. still unfortunately requireing a smog pump.
    If you wanna build a big block and put it in a kit car, do this: go to www.mortec.com and check casting numbers of blocks till you find one that codes to an early block, like 65 or so. try to find one and build that. just remember even known it doesnt require much for equipment, it still has to pass the sniffer.

or you could always snag a VIN from another car /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif