Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Registering a Military Trailer? How Do???

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by metapoint, May 28, 2008.

1. metapoint

metapoint 1/2 ton status

Just picked up a great deal on an M105 trailer, rewired, converted to an eight lug trailer axle, and rhino-lined. No title, anyone had any experience in getting on registered? How do you do it?

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Every state is different on their registering laws. Check with your motor vehicle dept. about how to register a homemade trailer. It may be the easiest route to go.

3. metapoint

metapoint 1/2 ton status

Went to the DMV today told them I wanted to register this trailer I built from scrap parts. They asked what I thought it was worth ($500 he he) then measured it off and sent me inside with paperwork. After a long wait walked out with a title, registration, new vin tag, and a permanent plate. Total was $137. Now I'm legit.

FYI if you say your assembled trailer is worth more than $1000 you have to show receipts for atleast half of the value.

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

in nj i reg as home made the lady said if i clame i spent $100 on parts then paid sales tax no that $7 bucks it would be easy to do :D and i did

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

WA state requires a State Patrol inspection on all homebuilt trailers... If you can't prove ownership (not enough reciepts or no vin # present from the truck used to make the pickup box trailer) you get a 3 year registration only period and can apply for title at the end of 3 years.

6. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

You got lucky, I went through that a couple months ago, and they made me go down and get a level 2 inspection at the DMV inspection place, it was a PITA.

7. pseudomike

pseudomike 1/2 ton status

In MA there is no inspection on trailers. I have one plate registered to a homemade black trailer..I have 3 trailers..all black if you follow my logic. I pay ~$50/yr for registration based on weight. I originally had to drive to the state revenue office and pay $25 "road tax" for constructing a trailer out of $500 worth of parts.

When I lived in CT I tried the same deal but they gave me a temp plate for the trailer, I had to drive 65miles to a "State inspection office", they looked at the trailer, assessed it's value, and issued a VIN plate and title. THat method sucked.

Depends on where you live in a nutshell.

8. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

In New York you have to get the trailer weighed and if more than 1000 pounds it must be inspected before they will register a homemade trailer. If under 1000 pounds there is no inspection but you do not get a title, you get a transferrable registration that is used instead of a title and you have to create the vin plate yourself with a number they give you .