Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

registering out of state diesel k5 in CA?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i know for gas you have to have a 50-state legal truck to register into CA, but what about diesel? were there CA-smog spec diesel trucks? The truck im looking at is an 88 w/ 6.2+banks turbo. how can i find out if it can be transferred to CA?

2. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

why wouldn't it be? There aren't regulations for diesels so I don't think it would be a problem...maybe K5MONSTERCHEV can chime in since this is his cup o' tea but otherwise I think you'd be best off to go to the DMV and ask them in person.
    I'm in the process of buying an '82 K5 w/ the 6.2 and Banks kit and he has it registered (it's here in Cali already) and he is running open headers even since there is no smog check.

Ok, that probably didn't help much...

-Avery

3. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

i brought mine in from Colorado, the only thing I had to do was get it weighed. 89 CC with a 6.5

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Welcome to 2007!

I've been told registration for diesels has changed. This was by somebody who does title transfers. Previously you took the vehicle by the CHP for an inspection and then to your local DMV registration office where they give your vehicle a visual inspection and take down the VIN. Now your vehicle may have some emissions tests or something as well.:bow:

I'd look it up on the CA State Web site. It will tell you the hoops, if any, you have to jump through.

You can always call your local DMV office and if you are lucky they might be able to give you a correct answer but don't bet on it.:haha::haha:

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

only thing i could find that was diesel specific is that diesels are excempt from smog certs. i was just wondering causs i know on newer diesels they have had high output models that arent sold new in CA.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

AFAIK diesels are not emissions-checked, period, in CA. Very late model ones may be, but older ones are exempt.

Interestingly, CUCV diesels are exempt even in areas which require testing ... kinda like old cop cars are exempt from emissions, even here in CA with the Nazi smog laws.

Anyway, you should just be able to bring in one that old and register it, no worries about "if."

-- A