Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Regroving military tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 53chevy, Mar 30, 2007.

1. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The blocks seem kinda plain, has anyone regroved the XL style military tire. What pattern and how did you grove it. Pics please. Thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

cant say i have done those tires. but i have a hot knife with diffrent bits. and its not to bad to cut them up. let the unit get nice and hot and use the heat to do the work on those hard rubber tires.

i have both 1/8 and 1/4 blade heads. i use my 1/8 for tsl swampers up to 38 with the skinny wear bars. 1/4 blade head for 38.5 and up swampers with fat wear bars. so if you want some good width i might use 1/4 blade. i would go round cut blades for tires with lots of tread. and if half gone and just cuttin wear bars out square heads blades.

second half of page 35 is the ideal tire hot knife. i have the 42836. this company will sell to public if i recall. if not pm me and i can get it for ya if you need one. i have a account threw them. http://www.myerstiresupply.com/pdfcatalog/PDFs/Final_Finish.pdf

3. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

aww yeah the rillfit. excellent machine, i use that at work, i groove about 20 truck tires everyday. thats the best machine to get ever. just do diagonal grooves so the lugs dont rip off as easily. and dont expose the blade to air, it will burn right up.

4. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

a buddy regrooved his 11r16 XLs about 3 times.. he just followed the stock pattern though. they worked just fine with the stock tread.

5. blasphemous

blasphemous 1/2 ton status

How much does that knife run? Blades?

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i will call and get a price for you. been a bit since i ordered one last . it comes with the smaller head and a set of blades. after that you need to order the heads and blades seperate.

7. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i would guess about $500 if i am not mistaken that how much mine was.

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

This is my grooving iron, I've got a few different heads and blades for it. only cost $100 canadian.

[​IMG]

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I have the 11.00R16's. I plan to regroove the original pattern and then add some extra grooves. Probably similar to this:

[​IMG]

I think I'll only do the outside lugs. I don't think I'll groove them all the way to the edge. Maybe leave about 1/2" so they won't easily chunk off.

Then on the middle I'll turn the blades around and do some siping of the center lugs. I'm hoping that help with performance in the snow.