Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Regul tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Jan 14, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[rant]
    i have a set of 285/75/R16 Regul Trailblazer M/Ts on my truck. ive had em regularly rotated and balanced every 5-7 thousand miles, and i just got back from the tire shop today. FOURTEEN ounces of lead on just one wheel. the truck still shakes a little bit, but is much better than before. anyway, if you want a mud tire that drives well over 10mph, stay away from reguls.

that is all.[/rant]

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Think those are bad? Try some Swampers. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Surprisingly, with no balancing, I can drive mine 80 MPH. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

other then vibes how do you like those tires? some tire shops sell blem tires as good tires and you might have gotten a bad tire(blem shouldent make a vibe but somthing else might)

4. thezentree

i can imagine big swampers being rough, but these are stock size! well, damn near it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i have a set of 35x12.50x15 mt's on my k5.
    i bought them 14 months ago and havent had
    a problem. i drive 90 miles round trip to
    work twice a week and they are great. and
    this is averaging at about 70 mph.
    i have no vibes to complain about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    maybe i got lucky
    i only paid $108.00 each /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I had a set I bought off of doc70sub on my Yukon. They were fine, drove them till they were slicks. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Of course, the BFG All-Terrain KOs on it now and MUCH better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. thezentree

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a set of 35x12.50x15 mt's on my k5.
    i bought them 14 months ago and havent had
    a problem. i drive 90 miles round trip to
    work twice a week and they are great. and
    this is averaging at about 70 mph.
    i have no vibes to complain about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    maybe i got lucky
    i only paid $108.00 each /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hell yea you got lucky! mine were $134 each, and i drive 100 miles daily at around 70mph.

to give you an idea of how off these tires are, the balancing machine was actually bouncing up and down.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Actually, your the first person I have heard complain about the regul mt's. My brother has a set of 35 12.50 15 regul mt's on his blazer and they are great. Not hard to balance, no vibes, durable in the rocks, and give good wear and traction. I know he has been very happy with those tires. They are actually made by bfg so.....
    -Harrison

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Check that tire out, maybe the belts are seperating. Kind of strange how this happened all of a sudden /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. thezentree

it is odd, and its mainly on that one tire. the other wheels were easier to balance.

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Man if the balancing machine was dancing across the floor...,MAKE THEM GIVE YOU A NEW TIRE!!!! The tread has separated! Any tire guy worth a sh*t would know not to put that POS back on your truck! Especially NOT ON THE FRONT!! Cripes man, that's dangerous stuff! Not trying to sound like a know it all, but I am a former tire jockey. 14 oz. to balance it out is too much, even for a 35" radial. On the off chance that the tire is not separated, have them bust the bead and throw the wheel on the balancer. If it's not spinning true (jumps up and down or wobbles back and forth) you have a bent wheel and no amount of balancing will cure that. If the wheel runs true have them mount the tire 180 degrees from where it was on the wheel (mark the tire at the valve stem and line the mark up with the valve stem but on the opposite side of the wheel). Sometimes that will work, sometimes not. Sounds like you have a dangerous deal going on. At the very least, till you get it cured, PUT IT ON THE PASS. SIDE OF THE BACK AXLE!!

12. thezentree

it's on the right rear at the moment. im actually heading over there in the morning to pick up a full-size spare, so i might run that instead.

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Think those are bad? Try some Swampers.

[/ QUOTE ]

My swampers run smooth (as smooth as a swamper can) with only the front's balanced. The left rear shakes a bit at anything over 80 though! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif