Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Regular or Deep cycle for winching?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by denver75k5, Sep 22, 2004.

1. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Which batt. have you found better for winching? I keep frying red tops and am thinking of trying a deep cycle.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

deep

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Is it just for winching or would it also start the truck daily?

4. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Learn how to drive and you won't need no stinkin winch as much /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

You don't have the winch wired up to the side post's do you? If so then there's your problem. The side posts aren't as strong as the top posts are and easily melted out the batt when wire up to them.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Deep cycle is not made for heavy current draw.

Starting battery for a winch.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I agree, definately not a deep cycle. Deep cycle is meant for long periods of smaller amp draw. A starting battery gives you lots of amps for a shorter time.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

GET A YELLOW TOP I HAVE ONE IN MY BLAZER FOR 2 AND A HALF YEARS NOW AND I RUN A WARN 15,000 OFF IT AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    GET A YELLOW TOP I HAVE ONE IN MY BLAZER FOR 2 AND A HALF YEARS NOW...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but how much of those 2.5 years were in the driveway? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

10. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree, definately not a deep cycle. Deep cycle is meant for long periods of smaller amp draw. A starting battery gives you lots of amps for a shorter time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, deep cycle batteries prefer a 2 amp overnight charge, not the 60 or 100 amp charge provided by an alternator.

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Deep cycle is for deep cycling...

A regular lead-acid battery is best for winching because it has the plate area, chemical volume, and physical size to deal with the demand a winch applies. The higher the voltage the less current required. You need something that can take the chemical energy and convert it to electricity as fast as possible. If you keep frying batteries... try finding one with a larger case.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A deep cycle doesn't lose voltage anywhere near as quickly as a starting battery so that is somewhat of an advantage.

If you could run MULTIPLE deep cycles it would probably work better, but I still think the high current draw of a winch prefers a starting battery.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

never looked into it much but story I was told is that regular batterys do not liked to be sucked completely dry and that a deep cycle will survive that treatment a bit better

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

When you come right down too it, the battery isn't the problem. Your frying red tops when winching because you are draining them dead DEAD. The core of this problem is really that your alternator isn't able to keep up with the amp draw therefore you are drawing amps directly from your battery. Theoretically the only thing a battery should be used for is starting the engine and then hopefully your alternator will do "Everything" after that. Now I understand this is next to impossible with the amp draws that are seen during winching. You need to get closer though. We can beat around the bush all day on which battery should be used for what but in the end the alternator is the problem. My alternator puts out 205 amps at idles or at least is capable of that if required. It still won't keep up with the big winches but it takes a lot of draw off of the battery.

15. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    A deep cycle doesn't lose voltage anywhere near as quickly as a starting battery so that is somewhat of an advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, with your grandpa's trolling motor. It is not true when trying to yank 450amps out of it.

[ QUOTE ]
    If you could run MULTIPLE deep cycles it would probably work better, but I still think the high current draw of a winch prefers a starting battery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeap...

But if you're going to do that, might as well pick up a lead-acid battery out of heavy equipment or a electric fork truck.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, with your grandpa's trolling motor. It is not true when trying to yank 450amps out of it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeap...

But if you're going to do that, might as well pick up a lead-acid battery out of heavy equipment or a electric fork truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep on all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    never looked into it much but story I was told is that regular batterys do not liked to be sucked completely dry and that a deep cycle will survive that treatment a bit better

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, it causes plate erosion and kills the acid in the battery.

A battery will usually come back if:
    You didn't wear out a plate and/or cause a plate to oxidize and the plate fall off and short out a cell
    You didn't overheat it and ruin the chemical energy storing component of the battery (whether it be conventional acid or not). If it vents a lot of fumes you overheated it.

These days, it's usually plate failures that kill a battery in an offroad rig. The rest of the time it's sulfation. Sulfation happens when the sulfuric acid (chemical energy) converts to electrical energy on the plates. Sulfation, if not converted back to regular lead, can sometimes become a crystal on the surface of the lead plate in which it's difficult to get a battery to take a charge. This process of sulfation can cause plate failure. Basically, the sulfate on the plates isn't uniform and you'll only use part of the plate. This "wears" the plate thin. If you slowly charge a battery, no matter what kind, it causes the "sulfating" to be more uniform. This is why deep cycle batteries require slow charging.

Anyway, I'm tired, and I have an emag exam to study for.

18. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    GET A YELLOW TOP I HAVE ONE IN MY BLAZER FOR 2 AND A HALF YEARS NOW...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but how much of those 2.5 years were in the driveway? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]
    i might not get to wheel mine as often as i want BUT it is my daily driver and i have used my winch many times in that time period /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a little confused by the "correct" and accompanying statements claiming a regular battery is the one to choose
    if I suck a reg battery dry it kills it? then I sure do not want to feed my winch with one as I would have to replace the battery nearly every time I winch hard

20. CyberSniper

Stick a volt meter across the load when you're winching. You'll notice it drops significantly. Over at the battery you'll notice the same thing. The battery sees the winch motor as a short for the most part. In other words, the battery is trying to provide as much current as possible at a given voltage. The winch motor will be much happier if it gets more voltage and less current. A deep cycle battery, which is current limited, will drop to zero volts faster than a regular battery.

In the olden days when winches had little 1.8hp motors deep cycle batteries worked pretty well. But we're in the 4.8-5.5 series wound world now... and deep cycle batteries have come a long ways but they still can't provide the short-burst high-current loads needed for a modern winch. Most winches nowadays draw 60 amps just to spool the cable in.

I've killed my el-cheapo $45 700cca or something battery probably ten times now. Dead enough where even my electric fans wouldn't turn on. When I do that I just stick it on the trickle (2amp) charger for 10-14 hours.