Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

regular or rv cam?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtynails, Oct 13, 2005.

1. dirtynails

dirtynails Registered Member

I'm about to have Chevy install a 350 crate motor. I live in Colorado and my daily drive is hilly (edge of foothills). It's and 83 K5 with 700 r4, 3.73 10 bolt posi rear, 31 inch tires, Edelbrock q-jet. Would I loose any in gas mileage with the 350 chevy crate motor that comes with the rv cam or should I just stay with the regular 350?
    Thanks

2. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I'd like to know this also...I've got a 396 with an rv or rv2 cam in it. Dont mean to hijack, but whats the difference between an rv and a rv2 cam?

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I wish I would have kept my motor more stock for one reason, fuel injection. I have too much cam to just bolt on a stock TBI setup. So if you think you might ever want to go with FI, keep it stock. Unless you want to spend more money on a fancier FI setup. Heck there's a factory TBI setup in the classified section here on CK5 for $250.

Aren't "rv" and "rv2" just kind of generic terms? If I was looking at the CompCams chart I would call the middle one "rv" and the second one "rv2"
    [​IMG]

Then again maybe I'm talking out my ass!

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

RV cams are made to make huge torque to make big RVs get their butts rollin, hense an RV cam. But, while they make huge torque, they suffer up high in the powerband. For only 50 bucks more, you can get yourself a comp cams that will run circles around an RV cam :)

5. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Iv'e said it once, I'll say it again. Call comp cam's cam help line give them info on your ride ( gvw, gearing, tire size, engine size, usage, etc, etc.) and they can set you up.

6. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

mileage depends on how heavy your rig is and how you drive it. If it's heavy and you don't wind it out, the RV cam is the way to go. You'll get better mileage in fact. If you start running it above 3,000 RPM constantly, like trying to blast through mud pits or up hills you'll be better off with the regular cam. RV cams are great for low end torque motors, like rock crawlers, but not for heavy big tired rigs that have massive amounts of power to barrel through mudpits.