Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rehab'ing a junkyard 14 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, May 9, 2001.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

rehab\'ing a junkyard 14 bolt

I'm still hung up on them 14 bolts(sf) I found at the junkyard. I've been trying to do some research on tha big axle, and so far, it's turned out to be heavy duty, and very heavy. Don't know if my weeny diesel could move it around. Someone said I could still use 15" wheels on the 14 bolt. Are you sure? I found some inexpensive 8 lug steel wheels. Brand name. Put the purchase price of the junkyard axle, minus core, at $60. How much would it cost to rehab it? It'll need new bearings, seals, gaskets, etc. Carrier will have to be reset(if equipped with a decent gear). Should I get lucky and grab one with a factory gov lock, how much to rebuild it as well? Basically, I'm looking for one price, a ball park of what I'd have to dish out altogether. I know I'd need a new u joint as well. Is doing all this really worth it? What would the upgrade to a monster 14 bolt get me that the weenie 10 bolt can't? Help me justify this and I might do it. Detroit and all. Would my 35's still get me enough ground clearance to effectively use the 14 bolt off road? Have I burned your brain yet with all these questions?

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

Re: rehab\'ing a junkyard 14 bolt

the open ones are more valuable as a detroit drops into it.

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'd try giving thatK30guy a private message. He can get you/rehab and mod up a 14B for you. I'm just guessing, but it doesn't sound like you are planning to do it yourself so it will be spendy. I'd lean away from the gov locks, but if you are going to a detriot you'll be replacing the entire carrier anyways. You can use the 15" wheels fine on the 14B... but w/ 8 lug fronts you'll have to grind on your calipers for clearence. I think 35's will give enough clearance for the 14... you can always shave it for an addition inch or so.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

You're right. Some thing's I wouldn't do myself as I don't have a place to do them. I was looking at the nickle and dime method over time as opposed to the all at once purchase. It would be nice, though, so I won't toss out the possibility, especially if I can get the Banks turbo I want for my diesel(waiting on a replay from that Jeeper guy).
    How is a Detroit on the street? I've asked twice already and no one wants to answer. Too ashamed of how theirs rides? The only reason I mentioned the gov is because the truck is mainly street driven. As for going 8 lug on the front...well... the 6 will have to stay for now even if I did go 14 bolt on the rear. I know the lugs will be mismatched, but can't afford to do both at the same time. One can dream...

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I just did everything that your talking about. It's only been about two weeks so it's still fresh. I got my 14 bolt from the junkyard at about $95. I got the open diff cause I installed a detroit right away, That ran $300. I got all the brake hardware and pads for about $65 with lifetime warranty. Including new cylinders. The bearings were all in excellent condition so I didn't have to replace those. Although some might say to do it just in case. The new wheels that I got ran $280 for 4 mounted and balanced. The new U-joint was $28. That's about it I think. As far as the front conversion, I have a 10 bolt so all I have to do is change backing plate, hub and rotor. I just recieved the backing plates today for about $95 and the hub and rotor I'm getting from a guy that's here localy for about $100 both.
    So everything I just wrote down came to about $1000. (Wow that wasn't a number that I wanted to see. I hadn't added it all up yet. Don't let my wife see that)
    As far as the detroit on the street, It does chirp my tires on turns a lot. But I haven't had that loud clunk that everyone talks about yet.
    I guess this got kinda long. If you have anymore questions for me just ask.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

A locker on the street is a matter of opinion. It is pretty much a no no up here in MN with the snow and ice. I've heard lots of good results and things about the Eaton Limited slips and my buddy has a powertrax in his street rod... seems to drive good on the street as long as you don't nail the gas in corners. But I haven't even gotten this far yet...
    After looking at your first post again... have you thought about beefing up your 10B or a 12B? Some steel caps on the carrier, Arp studs, and aftermarket axle shafts will definetly be cheaper and easier then a full swap. Obviously it is not as strong as a 14B, but do you wheel hard ehough top justify a 14B? When I looked at axles I decided I would beef up a 12B and then could keep w/ 15" tires, avoid the weight and ground clearence issues,etc. Actually I was just reading in the wanted/forsale section here a 30 spline 10B w/ like a power lock or something in that neck of the woods... $300. Check the FS forum for it... I figure w/ the mods I've done to the 12B it should be pretty good and I knew there was no way I could afford a D60 so the D44 is probably gonna break before the 12B... only downside is if the 12B breaks an axle you lose the wheel But for now it will work for me...

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

7. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was in the same boat you are in, didn't really think that I needed the 14b FF. Then I stumble into a deal for a 78 Sub with it a matching 10b and a SM456-NP205 combo for $500. It will probably be a year til i get the axles in. Just make purchase every month or so on different parts and do the sork along the way or all at one time with what you saved up. The axle without the springs, really doesn't take up that much room, and you may not ge this same deal in a year.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

8. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

It pretty much depends on what you want to do with the rig. If you are going to see a lot of rock then you definetly want the 14 bolt. And as far as mud I personaly don't think it will matter but you still will not have to woory with the 14 bolt in there. This weekend I am getting a 3/4 ton set up. Dana44 front and 14 bolt rear for 500.00. Don't really care what it will cost to rebuild but once it is in I will not have to worry about my axles any more. If you plan on rock crawling you will snap that 10 bolt axles shaft gauranteed. I seen someone snap a dana44 front axle shaft rock crawling. It all depends on what you will be doing with the rig and how hard you will be getting on it. Later LittleJimmy....

9. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)

As far as your diesel pushing it I wou; dnot worry unless its the 350D.....All of GM's 3/4 ton diesels were 14bolt/6.2's as far as I know. I use to drive one quite a bit and was not unhappy.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]