Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reinforcement after full conv. conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnathan, Mar 20, 2007.

1. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

O.K. so I chopped the top,and I'm almost through with all the body work.I plan on installing a full cage. I've searched around and some people say the A pillers are plenty strong enough,some say it's not and the windshield will sag. I know at the back panels I get some movement,so I plan on tieing into the cage there.Any suggestions as to where I need support?

2. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

Also,should I take the cage to the frame,or just the body?

3. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

im very interested inthis topic.... mine is not reinforced and is in the process of folding in half... i do ahve a 6 pt cgae that is tied too the frame...im addressing this isssue next..... so far my plan is too cut out the rocker replace with 2x4 square .. replace the floor. run a couple rods from the firewall too the rad support...but very interested inj othe rpeoples experience witht his..

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Replacing the rocker panels with 2x4 or 3x3 tubing like mine will support it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

cegusman,is your windshield frame supported.If not have you noticed any sagging?

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

There is 2 small tabs that bolt the the body and are welded to the cage were the dash bar runs. No sagging as of yet. also the bed sides are tied in the cage.

7. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

from personal expirence even factory full convertibles sag, especially if wheeled. do what you said and 2x4 for the rockers and tie it to the A pillar.

for a clean look I like cegusman's tabs off the cage to the window and is the more practical choice but I welded a tube from the 2x4 all the way up the A-pillar and even the halo is welded to the windshield frame.

[​IMG]

8. Snowman1000

Snowman1000 1/2 ton status

so you welded 2x4 tubing in place of your rockers and that stopped the infamous convertable top sag issue???? now im getting some Ideas

9. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

well it definately helps, but if your floors are rotted out, which has been my expirence (even here in the southwest) then its only a temp. fix. fix the floors, 2x4 the rockers and cage it is the 100% fix in my book.

10. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

thanks scoobydannn... i'll be in touch as i go... gonna try and copy urs if ya dotn mind?

11. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I didn't reinforce mine at all. Well I did weld 1/4" plate onto the kick panels, and some where the fire wall and floor meet. I should have done rockerboxes, They will be getting done soon. I have no problem with just the windsheild, but the whole firewall will flex. I'm going to run a rod from the top of the firewall to the rad. support. A cage would be the last option for my blue K5. I almost didn't put the factory bar in it.

12. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The factory 73-75's had big giant boxes under the floors to reinforce the FBHP/firewall/windshiled frame to keep it from flexing.
    My '73 was rusted badly, it flexed alot, right down at the base of the FBHP (Front body hinge pillar), I never realized how bad it was, when I tore the truck down, I had just the cab sitting on the ground stripped out, I stood in the floor and pulled back on the header, and bent the whole firewall/windshield frame halfway down to the floor.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

tie the windshield into the a-pillar of your cage and you oughta be good to go. Couple tabs on each side oughta be enough. Of course, if your cage takes a hella hard hit you could frag your windshield. lol! I vote for hard mounting everything and callin' it good. :thumb:

j