Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

reinforcements?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin_blazer, May 1, 2007.

1. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

to strengthen a 1/2 cab for a full convert top, would a piece of heavy wall 2x6 rectangular tubing laid flat up against the bottom of the floor spanning from the front body mount to the second bodytub mount(the mounts on the tub, not the frame). welded to the tub mounts strengthen the tub enuff to cut the top for a full convert? possibly use in combo with 2 rods from firewall to radiator support, 1 on each side of motor?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think your 2x6 is probably over kill. Never looked at the conversion much but that's pretty big. Your 2 x 3 would probably get it done. Say .125 wall should be plenty if installed properly.

3. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i asked once to see some ways people did this to see the different ways they did it. most that i have seen remove the rocker and replace it with the tubing....i want to leave my rockers, so should i get them as far out toward the rocker box as possible or would centering it between the inner rocker and frame be an ok location? i thought about 1 just inside the rocker and another 3-4 inches off the frame, since overkill seems to be the name of the game every where else on our rides ...putting two under each side of the driver and pass. side floor... i really don't want my ride to fold up! thanks for quick reply!

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I can't say I'm very well versed as to what the underside of the cab looks like on the full tops.

Overkill is OK, just enough to never be a problem is better IMO.