Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reinforcing cab for full convertible top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, May 10, 2001.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I would like some input (hopefully pictures) of how to reinforce the cab on my 89 Blazer to accept the full convertivble top. I want to box the cab underneath before I chop the top so it doesn't sag. The full roll cage idea is in the works too, but for now I would just like to box the cab. Grim -- I think you know how to do this if I'm not mistaken. Would appreciate pictures of what the cab on a 73-75 looks like since I don't have access to one.

2. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

give me some time i could show you mine. its been through a roll over recently but once its fixed i will take pics and post them for you

3. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

give me some time i could show you mine. its been through a roll over recently but once its fixed i will take pics and post them for you. just let me know of any key points you want.

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Did you take some pics while it was upside down? Those would have been the best pics I could ask for. *L*

5. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I will be putting on my lift after a wreck in january and i will also be swapping frames and the front clip so i will have plenty of pics probably within the month, i will try to get some up on the web. my blazer is an '82 with a full convertable top. I will get them up as soon as possible.
    sergio

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

How did you reinforce the cab, or didn't you?

7. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

the guy i bought it from did all the work himself. when he cut the top to make it full convertble he added a custom roll bar. it is a pretty good size and it goes right behind the drivers and passengers seats. that is where the seat belts attach to. I haven''t even driven my blazer since jan 21 so i am just remembering the good 'ol days. but i will get working probably tuesday and i will try to get pics as soon as possible.
    sergio

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Is it a full roll cage that goes to the windshield and attaches to it or just a partial roll cage? I'll be putting a full cage in but before I do that I would like to reinforce the cab underneath.
    Looking forward to the pics.

9. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

from what i understand it is not neccessary to reinforce the body within "days" of the conversion- i will probably drive mine with just the roll bar for a couple of weeks till i get the $ to finish the cage. ive heard of people who wheel them w/out anything, but i would'nt recomend it.