Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reinstalling my Distributor???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zooman, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Zooman

Zooman Registered Member

I have a question about putting my distributor back in my 350.
    I had a friend help me take my old intake manifold off my motor and he said he put a mark on my distributor where the rotor was sitting before he pulled it out.(I was in the garage grabbing some refreshments).
    The problem is I cannot find this mark he says he put on it. Before the distributor was pulled I did put the number one cylinder at TDC. I am pretty sure the rotor was pretty much pointing and the number 1 plug on cap.

When I go to drop in the dist. now with the rotor pointing at #1 it won't go right in. But it does go in really easy pointing at the next plug wire to the left(looking in the engine bay from the front)

What do you guys do for this problem??

Thanks alot.
    Matt

2. ratchetmaster

ratchetmaster Registered Member

If you haven't rotated the engine at all since you pulled the distributor, then it should go right back into the position it came out at or 180 degree's off.

So, if the dist goes ALL the way down flush to the manifold and is pointing at the front of the engine more or less pointing at the #1 plug, then that is correct. The oil pump shaft has to line up with the slot on the bottom of the distributor . . . or else it won't go all the way down.

Remember that your timing is ADVANCED and will be BEFORE the #1 on the cap.
    GOOD Luck.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Put the rotor upstream (towards #2) so when you slide it in the rotor ends up in the right spot. Look at it and think about it. It's a helical gear so it'll rotate when you slide it in. I usually put it so the rotor is pointed towards the front of the motor that way I don't have to think about it. It usually takes 2 or 3 tries for me to do it.

[​IMG]

4. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

If your positive its at TDC and it won't point to where the #1 wire should be then put the #1 wire on where its pointing and wire according to firing order. I always do that instead of trying to restab it in and have had perfect luck with it. Or you can do the long handle screwdriver and turn the oil pump slot so it coincides with your dist.

5. Zooman

Zooman Registered Member

Hey guys thanks for all the help.
    I had no idea you could move all the wires over to adjust for this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ratchetmaster

ratchetmaster Registered Member

Don't move the wires . . . your timing should be about 10-12 degrees advanced.
    This would put it pointing about at the #2 wire as your timing is advanced as it should be.

IF you were at TDC on compression stroke when it was pulled and the engine was not turned over at all, then the distributor will ONLY go in at TDC (correct) or 180 degrees out because of the oil pump shaft only allowing it to enter completely flush to the manifold if it is aligned properly.

That is why you can only get the distributor to go ALL the way in at the correct position or 180 degrees out.

BTW . . . Nice diagram of the engine distributor orientation!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

That's not a good idea. Look at the body of the distributor some time and you'll find out why.

Not to mention if you pop the hood and someone with a fraction of a brain sees your vacuum advance pointed in the wrong direction they'll wonder what kind of dumbass did that.