Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reinstalling t-case - gasket question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna be reinstalling my drivetrain and a guy at the tranny shop told me I would want to use a thick gasket between my Rockwell T221 and the adapter between the SM465.

When I separated the adapter from the Rockwell there was an extremely thin gasket no thicker than like 2 or 3 sheets of paper.

I'm not even sure I can get gasket material that thin and pre-made gaskets for the Rockwell are difficult to come by.

What would you recommend?

Use a thick gasket sheet and make my own gasket?
    Use the thinnest gasket sheet I can find that is close to what was there?
    Use RTV and call it good?

It does not even appear that there was a gasket on the tranny to adapter surface. Is there normally a gasket there?

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I would use thick gasket material (if it is a flush seal surface) and gorila snot it to hell to make sure it seals.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Man I wish my local gear shop here still did their internet orders. I have as of yet to stump them. They are dirt cheap too. Sells me a gasket set (not including the output seals) for $6-8. Their site use to be www.southerngear.com
    I'd hit the local phone book and look up gears and see if you can find a shop that specializes in Manual transmissions. that's how I found this place near me.