Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rejetting a carb for altitude

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zooexhibit, Aug 13, 2003.

1. zooexhibit

zooexhibit Registered Member

I recently read that you can buy a jet kit and rejet your carb for high altitude. I went to my local Autozone and they carry the Jet kit for like $35. It contains several sets of jets that are color coded, but no mention of which ones are for what. How do you know which ones will work best at about 6000 ft above sea level. Does this really work? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I haven't owned anything with a carb in over 10 years, /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif other than the lawnmower, snowblower, and weed eater. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But if my memory is working right tonight, Holley used to recommend a decrease of one jet size for each 2,000 feet above sea level. And yes, if your engine is running rich (still setup for sea level operation) then swapping in smaller jets, to deal with the thinner air will help your engine run better. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

What brand of carb? Quad, Holley, Carter? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif