Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relay Replacement - DID SEARCH

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BurbLover, Feb 28, 2004.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I looking for some idiot-proof instruction on converting my 84 K5 to the manual system. I did a search & read lots of info. The problem is, evertything I read seemed over my head. This is the only diesel I've ever done anything to other than drive, so unfamiliar with how work.

So, I'm asking for those directions.

I did use a trouble light & didn't get any juice out of the oiposite side on the relay. Starts fine when weather is super hot, but otherwise doesn't turn over. ALso has new GP's.

So, my next step was the relay.

Also, if there is someone in/near Coloradi Springs who'd like to stop by & help me out, I'd be ecstatic!! (Call me at 719.321.8506)

Thanks fellow CK5er's.

PS - This is my first K5 & I want to make it work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've owned Chevy's for years, but always Burbs, & Pick-ups. Time to get my "toy" running so I can build it fun. Already got 8" of lift to put on using echobit flip, springs & zero rates all around.

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I'd be happy to help! I live on the north side of Denver but am in the Springs off and on (friend o mine lives in Fountain. Of course if you want to make it to my place that's cool too. Let me know!

I'll get you a wiring diagram I made up (in color) that will help you see what is happening.

But for now here is a simple discription of how the GP system works: The pink w/black stripe wire on the relay is always hot with the key on (same wire to the inj. pump). The light blue wire goes to the (POS) GP controler. The (POS) controler then completes the citcuit by grounding the light blue. Notice I don't like that POS GP Controller. I'd do manual but I dont want to make things difficult for others to drive mine, so I made my own timer. Right now its a 10 second timer. Once I find the right part (negative thermister) it will time based on the temperature /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.

That being said, if you want a manual switched system you need to connect the l. blue to a momentary switch and then wire the other side of the switch to ground. Once the l blue is grounded the relay closes and power flows through.

Any questions, email me ( alecN@att.net or diyk5@hardcore4x4.com ). I'd call you but I'm at work and can't make LD calls, well at least if I want to keep my job that is /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

By tdoing whast you said, can I actually remove the relay completely from my fender well? Also, I used a tester & my ignition on, I got power on the pink/black wire and the blue one, but not on either two the go to the GP's. I have to assume that this means my relay is bad.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You can't get rid of the relay, it's what sends all the power to each glow plug. Going manual control bypasses the glow plug 'controller' which is bolted to the back of the motor next to the vac pump (if you have one).

I have a momentary switch that grounds the blue wire, turn key on, push button and hold. As soon as the button is pushed you can hear the relay on the fender click and the GP light comes on. I usually hold it down for ~10 seconds and it starts up no problem. A timer would be nice, but it would just make the truck easier to steal. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

That's the thing, I never hear the relay click and the GP light never comes on. So, is my relay bad?

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Either your relay is bad, or its not getting juice. The relay bears a marked resemblance to a Ford starter solenoid - which is what I'll be replacing my flakey relay with once it finally dies. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Well, using hte tester, I got power to it and the two skinny wires (pink/blue) both are getting juice. Howevere, the two wires going to the GPs aren't getting any juice. Does thismean bad relay? Should I replace it with a stock one of go the ford coil route? Also, with the ford coil route, how difficult is it to do and what year/model coil should I ask for? Thanks

8. tRustyK5

I had that happen to mine. I got a stock replacement because it wasn't any more expensive than the Ford solenoid. There are a couple of different versions, so best to bring yours with you. The hassle factor with a stock replacement is zero...

Rene

9. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I bought a new one at Checker for like $17 and put it in. I now have juice to the GP side when it clicks, just still no light or start. So, doing this methodically, what should be my next step? Thanks.

10. tRustyK5

Try bypassing the controller and grounding the blue wire with the key on.

Rene

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Okay, I by-passed the blue wire and now I actually have power to the GP side of the relay when I push the button. However, still no light or start after 10-12 seconds.

My next step is to actually pull a GP connection and see in I'm getting power to each side of the GP's.

Any other ideas?

PS - Thanka again Rene for calling me last night and talking me through some stuff. I'm much better on a phone/person-to-person than I am on this computer /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. tRustyK5

Have you confirmed each glow plug actually works?

[ QUOTE ]
    PS - Thanka again Rene for calling me last night and talking me through some stuff. I'm much better on a phone/person-to-person than I am on this computer

[/ QUOTE ]

It was good talking to you! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

13. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Alec sent me a pretty detailed description on how to check that stuff. With work Wed & Thur, probably not gonna be able to work on it much. There is a chance he might stop down by my place on Friday & help me out.

Will keep you posted.

14. tRustyK5

I use the big, dumb & stupid method for checking glow plugs. Remove plug, then attach jumper cables from battery to glow plug...if it starts to glow it works. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Keep us posted.

Rene

15. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Well, checked yesterday and it seams I have power to all 8 glow plugs. So, since I've replaced a faulty relay. converted to manual, and verifed power, I guess the next step is to change the GP's. ANy recommendations on GP's? Thanks.

Also, any tips/warnings on changing them?

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, checked yesterday and it seams I have power to all 8 glow plugs. So, since I've replaced a faulty relay. converted to manual, and verifed power, I guess the next step is to change the GP's. ANy recommendations on GP's? Thanks.

Also, any tips/warnings on changing them?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the GP's I think the best choice is the AC G60's. they won't burn and mushroom, but some people like the Kenedy fast glow which also don't burn but glow faster.
    I believe they are both priced similarly.
    About warnings, if you feel the glow plug is muchroomed now and feels stuck, try to be gentle, it might rub a little and squeeze out, but most of the times it will break off inside, and then you have to fish it out.
    There are plenty of threads on that subject.
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I second the AC 60Gs!!!

Good plug!

18. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I third the AC 60Gs. Once you've played with shrooms you'll never go back!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

On my '90 with the 6.2, the GP controller is also tied into a temperature sender located on the front of the engine. If the sender goes bad and reads high, than it won't turn on the GPs because it thinks the engine is already warmed up. The test for mine was to simply unplug the sender which defaults it to a low temp and activates the GPs.

20. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

WOOOHOOOOO!!!! I swapped out the POS Champion GPs & put in some 60Gs. I found four that were bad. STarted right up!! I'm stoked. It finally moves under it's own power.

Lets see:
    $500 Purchase Price
    $65 in GP's
    $20 in Relay
    $8 Relay

=$593, I have a 84K5 with new 32x11.50x15s, new dual batteries, new alternator, and freshly rebuilt t-case cause the other owner couldn't get it running right when he moved to CO from AZ.

Next project, swap in the 465/205 and take out the 700R4/208.