Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

relays for taurus fan install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater74, Jun 13, 2003.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

This kinda stuff is where i get REALLY lost /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. So i'm in the parts gathering stage of this and i'm ready to purchase some relays. My plan is to run a temp switch on the low speed side with a on and off switch in cab and for the high speed just run a in cab switch for running it when needed. i've read the pirate thread and one person recommends the Bosch 0 332 002 150 and Lance uses some 80 amp napa relay and on the mustange write up they use 0 332 002 156, this seems like the correct one to use i just wanna make sure i buy the correct one for my install.

this is a great source for relays http://www.bpg-inc.com/bpghome.html

and what about Temperature switches where to get them?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Why not just use the factory relays and harness? If you're gonna go to the yard anyway, get everything you need while you're under the hood. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The thermal switches you can get at any autoparts house. Problem is you will have to determine what temps you want them to go on-off and find one with the right thread size. They usually have a parts book you can look thru and choose your own. I used a Ford switch that went on at 205 and off at 185 (running a 180 stat) but you can find many different types.

As for relays, the fans probably dont pull over 30 amps (running, initial turnon will be higher). I got 2 50A bosch (one for each fan, I have the dual winstar fans) I think autozone carries 25A relays you can wire in parallel for the load if necessary.

I have mine normally run on the thermal switch.
    The relay is also activated when the Airconditioner is turned on (need airflow over the condensor for cooling while stopped) and I have a bypass switch to activate them (which I never use).

Make sure you have a large gage wire from the alternator directly to the fan relay(s) to minimize resistance and prevent wire meltdown, Also make sure your alt can handle the load.
    Heres some links for wiring info and relay setups.

Winstar Fan Setup
    Centech Wiring
    Painless Relays
    Ford Fans

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also make sure your alt can handle the load.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh thats another concern of mine, but i plan on putting a second batt. in with and islator and a alt. with more out put. i just might have to do it sooner than i hoped /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wow thanks for the links /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Do the alternator upgrade before the dual batt....

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do the alternator upgrade before the dual batt....

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeh i planned on doing it all at once

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Here's some more info.

I'm going to run the fan off the 50 amp relays.

I'm also doing an alternator upgrade, hopefully this weekend if I find the plug I need, unfortunately GM FAWKING SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!!

The alt is a 140 amp out of a Pontiac Trans Sport.