Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Releasing fuel filter pressure

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Alex 90 K5, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Alex 90 K5

Alex 90 K5 Registered Member

I was just wondering how you release the fuel pressure when changing the fuel filter, I was going to do it today but dont want gas squirting everywhere. Thanks alot.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Shouldn't be under pressure once the engine is off.

You'll have some gravity drippage ... rag'll take care of that... what year / engine truck, i.e. where's the filter?

-- A

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I never really worried about it... it's just TBI, not super high pressure so not to much gas will come out... but if you are worried about it, you could probably pull the fuel pump relay or fuse and turn the ignition over, anyone else got ideas?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't know that the oil pressure switch is fused, so you'd be better off disconnecting the fuel pump under the truck near the tank, where it's designed to be, then cranking it if you were worried.

I personally wouldn't worry about the fuel pressure either, but if you are going to get under the truck anyways, the connector IS right there.

5. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

if you let it sit overnight, the pressure will bleed off a little. i just pull the fuse and crank it like smartass said. tbi lines run at about 9-13 psi, not 65 or so, like multiport. so even if you don't relieve the pressure, it's not the end of the world. even with the pressure bled, there will be enough left in the lines to give you a nice gasoline bath. doesn't really matter, though