Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reliability of 87+ K5's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Jan 20, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Reliability of 87+ K5\'s

I'm really thinking of getting an 87+ K5 for a daily driver, light off-roading. I know they're reliable, but how good are the 241c transfer cases? Are they electronic? I don't want to put money into my 80 really because after body work and everything I could get a newer K5 with nice interior.

I may keep the 80, I guess I could sell it to my brother if he wants it or someone else. At first I thought it would be cool to have an older, flat black 4x4, nothing fancy, has no carpet either. But I keep looking at Civics and stuff because i'm getting tired of it.

For those with 87+ what kind of gas mileage do you get? Can I expect 15-17 mpg?

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

Re: Reliability of 87+ K5\'s

well my 87 350tbi\sm465\np208 is nice, the 241 T-cases are suposed to be alot better then the ol' 208's. id say go for it, i just hate the automatic trasmissions (700r4) they put in the K5's id get a K5 with a TH350 or 400 if I was buying one in the late 80's early 90's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

np241 cases are great. They've been put behind cummins diesels (HUGE torque) in dodge pickups *I think*. They've got the lowest crawl ratio (2.72) of all the popular ones gm offered. Not electronic...floor shifter. Only electronic connection to t-case is the speedometer on the tailshaft. Only bad parts to the np241 t-case: Slip yoke (if you're not sure what that is...do a search), and the all aluminum case - if smashed on a rock...it's all over but the tears.
    Do this for me: the next time you look at a Civic....gouge your eye out with a dull pencil. (unless of course you're looking at it to find the best approach to crushing it) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Yes, if it's running really well/tuned up...you can expect around 15 mpg from a STOCK k5 with the tbi 350. Of course that depends on how heavy your right foot is, too.

4. anatomiczero

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I road trip my 89 from N Dallas to Bristol, Darlington, Talledega fairly often...plus daily chores...15-17 is reasonable on the highway...700r hates heat, you've read that in here a hundred times...add a dang cooler...I Broke my 700 housing climbing a dang 6 Foot hill on Pikes Peak because of a heavy foot and a broken tranny mount (long story)...drove the thing 800 miles home leaking tranny fluid like a girl dog...little over 8 Quarts....stopped every 75-80 miles and added some....700's are a lot tougher than they are given credit for...for a daily without Huge torque, it's no prob....I've broken a few 350's and 400's doing simple stuff also.... I got a Screamin' deal on my 89 (one owner non smoker street tires 40K mi for $5000 5 Years ago)...sold my 79 and I miss it Every Day even tho I laid it in the weeds for 2 years....I Love my 89....just wish I had kept them both...

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

im pretty sure a 400 would have to swapped in.

7. anatomiczero

Thanks, the np241 sounds good, I don't mind the slip yoke, that's what I have now.

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

My '87 has given me little trouble and it has 190,000 miles on the original motor : /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. With 35'' tires and 4.56 gears and a 700r4 transmission I averaged 18.6 MPG on the highway. No clue what city mileage is like, but it ain't bad. I have the 208 case but it hasn't given me any problems either, just be on the look out for a 241 unless you don't mind the whining of the 208 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have a '90 and love it...a lot of the power stuff - locks and windows - starts messing up, but thats the trade off with a nicer one. Mine has 170K on it, original engine blows a little smoke when I start it after its been sitting, and its lost a little power but i think it'll keep going...trannys and rearends aren't as good, but not too bad if you treat it right. I get 14-15 on the highway crusing a little over 70, have gotten better with the cruise off though /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Issues with my 90 when I had it:
    Factory paint was crap
    Bad valve seals (blew some smoke on startup)
    241 slip joint leaked (which wasn't bad since it threw fluid all over the rear bed pan and rust proofed it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )
    Gov lock was shady
    With all the electrical power stuff and smog equipment, troubleshooting problems was kind of a pain

It got about 16 MPH with about 2/3 highway driving. It was a good truck and made a good daily driver/light trail truck. I got rid of it cause I wanted just a trail truck so I went with an older, simpler one.

11. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I love my '91. I've had an 84, and an 88 and this is the best. I bought it with 98,000 and hope to have good luck with it. I drove the '84 and the '88 from Minnesota to Utah and back several times with nary a problem. Find a '90 or a '91 with no rust and you're set!

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

My 89 K5 is simply the most reliable truck I have ever owned. Thats why I have kept it so long. A buddy of mine has a 91 that he bought new. Even though he has a brand new Chev 3500 he wont get rid of "Ol blue" cause it runs so good.
    I love the FI and. trouble shooting is not very hard if you get a scanner and take a little time to learn how the system works. Besides there is all kinds of help here. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I do some pretty serious 4 wheeling and tow a lot
    The 700r4/241/10 bolts are still orginal and holding up just fine.
    I get around 15-16 mpg mixed city highway driving. On the freeway I get 18-20 depending how fast I drive.

13. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

My 88 is awesome, It had the original engine in it that was still running till last spring (160000mi) when I opted to do crate along with the tranny. I have a 208 so I couldn't tell you on the 241 but my 208 hasn't given me trouble yet, I had it rebuilt when I did the engine and trans. As far as gas mileage, I wouldn't count on too great, but if it is good then thank god. Mine gets 12 on the highway and 8-10 in the city. I figure it is the Detroit/1 ton axles that make it so bad. Tires couldn't help either. Anyway all in all a reliable rig even when I pound on mine.

Dave Cowley

14. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Bought my 88 SWB{IFS back then}new.Over450,000 now,Original motor{only timing chain &gears},Gertrag 5spd,let transfer run dry and ruined it.Only prob so far.Now SFA HiPin D60 & ton rear.Have run 35 or larger tires most of time.38s were HE-- on front end parts.Wheeled hard and often. Still love it.Best thing is making Jeeps look silly on their trails. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    trouble shooting is not very hard if you get a scanner and take a little time to learn how the system works.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's if the truck is throwing codes. Try tracing wires on the thing. And all the smog control and sensors plus the ECU makes trouble shooting minor "running rough" problems a pain.

16. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

Civic??????? wtf are u crazy??? how can u go from a k5 to a civic seriously?? u like having that feeling of no torque?? if u are going to go with a car at least go with something that has some balls..... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

17. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

It's stories like that that give me hope! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i talked to a guy at the beach with a 94 (?) chevy with 390,000 miles on the original tbi350 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and he even showed me the odometer! Maybe it has something to do with being stick shift though /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, either way, that is very impressive. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Acutally I would think an automatic engine would last longer...its a lot easier to redline a stick all the time

19. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

acctually stick shift puts stress on the thrust bearing the the engine, but yea if you shift at low rpms, the engine will probly last long /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif