Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reliability of 99 Suburban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86kansask5, Dec 21, 2004.

1. 86kansask5

86kansask5 1/2 ton status

My wife and I just had our third daughter.(well, she did, I just watched) We are looking at buying a 99 burb with 90,000 miles on it. 4x4 with the 5.7 liter engine. I know its not as cool as the 86 k-5 but the wife likes it. Anyone know of what I need to lookout for in this year truck? Other than the normal things. Any help would be great.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The only common failure point i have seen, (as in 3 different 1997-1999 subs) was a leak in the rear AC lines. All 3 leaks were located inside the dash. Not nearly as simple as it sounds though. Those dashes are near impossible to completely remove.

That is only my experience with them though and you should not base any purchase related decisions on them.

3. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

I have a '99 with 176,000 miles on it and it runs, drives, and pulls the trailer great. I'd recommend it, and the only problems I can suggest to check for are tranny problems if it's pulled a trailer, but a tranny isn't all that expensive. Great vehicle for hauling 9 passengers, all their stuff, and pulling a trailer all at the same time.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a '99 Tahoe. Same engine. Sold it w/ About 90K. Nevr had a problem except for the fuel pump. Started whinning. Fairly easy fix. Great truck.

Both of my parents drive mid 90's Burbs (2wd & 3/4 ton 4wd) with well over 100K on them and have had no problems.

5. dan dibble

dan dibble Registered Member

We had a 99 and I pulled with it for three years. The only problem we ever had was the transmission quit at around 65,000 miles but that was most likely due to the 9,000 lb trailer I was pulling.
    BTW: it towed awsome.

Dan

6. 86kansask5

86kansask5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info. I was wanting to take it out and test before chirstmas, but will have to wait till next week. I'll tell ya how it goes. Thanks again.