Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Religion in today's society

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, Jun 22, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Religion in today\'s society

This is a half made up, half real situation. I'm just curious what people think but I don't want to ask my parents because they would then think its real.

Here it goes...my girlfriend is X religion and semi-religous, she wants to bring up her kids X religion. I am Y religion, not real religious though. Let's say we get outta school and are still together...could we get married?

Part of me thinks if I love her it doesn't matter. On the other hand it could cause massive problems..like at the times of holidays and what not.

What does everyone think...once again, thanks for entertaining me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: Religion in today\'s society

Something you should talk over.... could turn messy and ugly otherwise down the road when something pops up and you don't share the same viewpoint. If you have a clear understanding and can agree, it would help. I know couples like this... some work, some don't. Communication IMO is the key too making it work... start out with it, and you should be ok...

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

One thing you should keep in mind is that regardless if you as a couple are able to come to some kind of compromise, there may always be issues with your respective families.

I know a guy that basically walked away from his entire family over the grief he endured because he changed his religion for a woman. He decided that it was something he wanted to do but his family saw otherwise. After about a year of being treated like a second class citizen by his own blood he cut all ties and forged ahead without them.

It's downright sad that people are forced into making decisions like that, but I'm sure it happens all the time.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just celebrate every holiday you want, regardless of religon... hell, Im agnostic and I celebrate every holiday that I can. lol!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif AFA raising kids goes, thats a whole 'nother ball game. So long as nither or ya are religous fanatics all should be fine... if one of ya is (looks like its her) then u pretty much have to roll over on the kid-raising or find a different woman. Not really ethical to convert ur gf (just my opinion) nor is it ethical to allow ur kids to be raised believing all kinds of crap u fundamentally disagree with.

j

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As far as kids and religon goes, my opinnion is too teach kids "Some people belive" and expose them too both parents belifes. When the kids are old enough, let them decide for themselves what way too go. That's just my opinion, and I could be completely wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    expose them too both parents belifes

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the problem is when one of the parents is a hardcore religous nut job and for them exposing their kids to other belief systems wouldnt be acceptable.

j

7. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I'd just tell em religion is a bunch of lies used to manipulate people and gain power for the church.

8. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

Live your life based on how you understand it and the cause and effect theory. If you believe in a one true GOD live with that, if you believe in multiple GODS live with that. But never! and I mean never, take advice from a bunch of nuts like us who sit up in the wee hours of the morning with nothing else to do. As I've been told (When all else fails, read the instructions)

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I'm staying out of this one because I don't believe in "Organized Religion" at all... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm staying out of this one because I don't believe in "Organized Religion" at all... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ] It's real, it does exsist. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[momma buchet] religions da debil bobbay [/momma buchet]

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Live your life based on how you understand it and the cause and effect theory. If you believe in a one true GOD live with that, if you believe in multiple GODS live with that. But never! and I mean never, take advice from a bunch of nuts like us who sit up in the wee hours of the morning with nothing else to do. As I've been told (When all else fails, read the instructions)

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, this is made up, and I am not looking for advice, just curious what people think because I don't know anyone in this situation. The replys are interesting...keep them coming. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

i'll have to keep an eye on this one...

some of my family is "pc" (psycho-christian, sshhhhhh, don't tell) and they tend to do everything overboard. one sister in law had the balls to tell me that my wife is pregnant because she prayed for us. then she had the nerve to act offended when i left the room to collect myself and prevent the onset of hyperventilation from laughing so hard.

you can try this at home: define cult.

some people do what is right, simply because it is right. not to get anywhere. not to impress anyone. if anything, just to be able to live with ones self and sleep at night.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    i'll have to keep my one eyed wonder worm on this one...

some of my family are young boys,don't tell the priests, they tend to do everyone underlord. one sister in law has balls and tells me she got my wife pregnant because she layed for her. then she had the nerve to act offended when i left the room to collect a sperm sample and prevent the onset of hyperejaculation from humping so hard.

you can try this at home: get a nudie mag and jar of mayonaise.

some people do this simply because it is fun. not to get it on anyone. not to impregnate anyone. if anything, just to be able to love ones self and sheep, alright.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

i am contiually amazed at how hard you work at being an ass.

go ahead. i used the words hard, work and ass in a sentence. do something witty with it. make us all laugh. impress us. we're waiting.

16. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

In Kansas, if your wife divorces you,,,, is she still your sister? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Or if you sleep with your sister-in-law, is it still cheating since you are keeping it in the family? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

My wife's friend is a Jewish woman married to a Christen man. They make it work, but niether of them are religous freaks about thier religion. With two people working together, with open minds, they can make it work.

19. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Well what are the two religions? If they are similar no problem... but if the father is not religious at all, then why even ask. How can you even say you are part of a religion if you don't practice. I despise people who are like "yea im a christian," and go to church on easter and christmas only, whom don't even know the biblical defininition of "christian."
    Btw... religion is, in general, usually passed on by the mother, unless you are traditionally islamic or muslim, then it goes by the father.