Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Religon/politics talk

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CK5, Apr 22, 2007.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ok, seems to many people are getting bent about Religon/Politics topics, the problem I believe is the extreme pro and extreme con for said topics. So should I close down this site because a few Members pro AND con can't behave or should I simply ban these topics alltogether?

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Just ban the knuckleheads that cannot carry on a civil discourse.:bow: :bow:

3. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

X2!!!

It doesn't matter what the topic is, if ANYONE can't keep it civil, bandwagon they must go.

At the same time, if ANYONE keeps getting offended, should they REALLY be here in the first place????!!!!

4. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

x3.

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

There have been several forums/websites that have banned this topic, or relegated it to a subforum. I don't think we need to do that, though, we have plenty of subforums as it is, and most posts that digress to this topic don't start out with a religious/political discussion as the subject, so it would get old to keep moving posts to that forum whenever they turn "sour."

The second choice, banning the topics altogether, is definitely a possibility, but on the same token, nearly any topic has the potential to go tits-up. If we do this, then we should ban discussion on interrracial relationships, gay marriage, auto vs. manual, IFS vs. SFA, gas vs. diesel, you get the point.

In short, I know your question was probably mostly rhetorical, and my answer is the same: I don't know what we should do. We already have the mods keep a close watch on these types of subjects but that doesn't seem to do the trick all the time. :confused:

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Require formal dress!

7. CK5

I ask this because a Member here has threatened ME with some kind of legal action unless everyone agrees with what this Member believes. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The old school guys and most of the new guys don't seem to have a problem hashing it out. Seems to me that the problem may be the few newer guys that think that because they payed their dues they can make up new rules or just hit the notify button when things don't go their way, or worse, bug you with this stoopid BS.
    When the "I'm gonna tattle on you " button is pushed because someone can't just ignore or accept that they are wrong. Then others will push "buttons" right back. Do whatever you think is right Steve, this is your site after all. But some of the subversive crap that has been hitting here lately has been overwhelming and I'm not refering to the backlash.
    I would hope that you would take a step back and listen to your Mods and let this whole thing work itself out.

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Can you say 1st Amendment???????? Tell that member to go suck a rotten egg.:crazy:

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Wow, that deserves multiple complete pages full of rolleyes

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

etc.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

WTF!!!! ban em , last time I checked this was your site....

12. CK5

I will see what other large sites are doing to combat this problem... simply amazing!

13. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Refund this persons money. Appologize for running a shoddy site. And then ban them for life! End of problem.

I like a good spirited conversation. First of all even if you don't agree 100% with the other guy you learn a little bit in the exchange. And it's also good to know your enemies!

Next question?:crazy:

14. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Are you serious???? Amazing...simply amazing. Why do people feel the need to push their issue onto others and if they don't follow like the other little lambs then they pull this kind of crap. Agree to disagree, that's all it takes.

Sorry you have to deal with this sort of thing Steve.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Many sites i visit do not allow religion or politic's. Those two subjects will always disintegrate into a massive clusterfukk...especially on a larger site like this.

It's a truck related site for crying out loud, do you really need to come here to talk about religion?

Or we could just start banning the whiners. That would be immensely more satisfying for me.

Rene

16. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

WTF???????

You have to be kidding?????

:mad: :haha: :mad: :haha: :mad: :haha: <-------I've never done that before :D !!

17. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Y'know Steve, 99% of the people here are good folks who have the ability to discuss and debate any given topic somewhat agreeably. Everyone knows the limits, and the line rarely gets crossed.

The problem we've been having lately is that certain members cannot resist joining in on a discussion EVEN THOUGH THEY KNOW THEY CAN'T POSSIBLY CONTRIBUTE IN A POSITIVE MANNER. We all have choice when it comes to posting in any given thread, and in the forum rules sticky I have made it clear that if someone knows that their participation is gonna help the **** hit the fan, they should avoid joining in.

As far as the threat you received, I saw a copy of it, and to be honest, the guy's off his rocker. There is NO WAY any kind of legal action is possible. If it were, sites like Stormfront would have been shut down years ago.

Basically, don't punish us all because a couple of jerks are insisting that everyone play by their rules. Last I checked, YOU are the boss here, and you set the rules. Don't let one idiot affect the way 1000 other guys spend their time.

18. CK5

I understand people have strong beliefs one way or the other, I know there are a lot I personally don’t agree with, I simply don’t comment or I laugh and move on, I guess I am to easy going, but I do wish most could be like that.

And yes as a Webmaster of a large forum I actually do know the laws, there are far worse sites out there that will never be shut down, and I have seen nothing that would be against any law here on CK5 like a death threat or something.

I post this in the open because if one person feels this way then I'm sure others do as well, so might as well let everyone in on it.

19. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

You know what?

I wonder if a certain members' commanding officer know what kind of 'trouble' he/she/it is causing...:thinking:

The military does not like their service people causing civilian trouble...:whistle:

20. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

That may be true, Rene, but I can recall LOTS of "hot button" discussions that didn't fall apart at the seams. Let's face it- it's not the topic that the problem, it's the odd person who's involved that screws things up.

Yup. It would also make our jobs a lot easier. Heck, I deal with enough whining at home in a day. The last thing I want is to spend my precious free time listening to grown men bitch and bellyache because they aren't getting what they want. Geez, this ain't Burger King.......:deal: