Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relocate shocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sope, Jun 4, 2006.

1. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I have to relocate my shocks because I have a high steer system with my tie rod behind my diff in line with where factory shocks are. I figure my two optons are, make extended mounts off my front diff to move the bottom end of my shock, or use Ford shock towers tilted back. It looks like tilting shocks back with longer shocks is comon but my concern is that the shock will bind because of the angle of the shock and the bushing pivoting sideways instead of front to back. What I really want to know is have people that have done this found a problem with the binding and does anyone see a problem with extending the lower mounts off the diff. I have attatched a picture of a Ford shock tower set up off the sight. Don't worry about the line.

shock tower.jpg

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The position of the shock is in relation to the arch travel of the spring. Moving it to the front like you have drawn would probably drasticly reduce the dampening effects of the shock...

A more straight up and down mount would be better that what you have drwn, but still will reduce dampening some.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pivot motion on the top mount will be negligiable. The axle moves rearwards as it compresses plus the movement at the top of the shock will be very small. From that picture I'd say you'd be fine.
    If you're still worried, re-work the top mount to turn the bolt 90*.

4. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

The line in the picture was an accident. Thanks for the replies. I believe I will go with the Ford shock towers and longer shocks. I will have to flex it out to see what shocks but I was figuring around 13" of travel. I have 4" BDS lift springs up front and stock shackles. What have been used with a similar set up?

5. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

TTT...Just installed my 60 with high steer and I'm up against the same issue, I was thinking of just welding a tab right on top of the axle tube and leaving the upper in the stock location. What did you end up doing?