Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

relocate the rear end

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by nova, Jul 17, 2003.

1. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

I have a 77 blazer ( d60/14bff/350tpi/700r4/5.13 ) with a 6 inch procomp lift. I would like to relocate my rearend 3 inches back but also gain a little more flex, this may also help my driveline angle and hopefully equal out my driveshaft lengths when i put the doubler set in. Can you guys help me out? What would be the best way to do this ?

thank,
    chris /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Best bet is to get a custom set of springs made. I am sure Stephen will respond asking you to call them up and he can work out the details. I got a custom set made to move my axle back 3", as soon as I wheel in a couple of weeks I will report on how they work out.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

hey guys Im definately interested in this one as well... I want to do a doubler witha sm465 and a ranger overdrive... Steve wasnt sure I would have enough driveshaft length.
    How does the wheel/tires look not centered in the wheel well???
    By the way Steve I spoke with Jess over at Hi Angle driveline and he thinks he can make this work as is since I only have a mild lift...
    damn driveshafts are costly... ah the joy of modifications!!!
    cam

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

A longer spring of some sort is the way and one easy way to do that is with a custom spring, that's how I did it.
    How the tire will look comes down to your tire size and how you cut out the opening. I had/have 42's and just barely cut any material at the front of the opening and took quite a bit at the back of the opening and it worked great.

5. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

sorry my computer went down the day after i started this post thanks for the info. i just have some small question's left.

how much would custom springs cost, stephen?
    how much longer would they be?
    and would i only be relocating the rear mount to put these on?
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would like to relocate my rearend 3 inches back but also gain a little more flex

[/ QUOTE ]

AZK5 on this board did this.... He used 56" rears and reversed them so that the long end is forward. Then he moved the rear shackle mount back to accomodate the added spring length. But I think he ended up w/ 4" longer wheelbase - but you could use a zero rate to "reel it back in" to 3"....

Marv

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

There's several ways to go here, the factory 56" is one of them.
    For a custom spring, you could start with making the spring 6" longer and keep the center pin centered, depending on the arch in the spring that should move your axle back about 3" and you would only relocate the rear mount for the spring.
    It's all wide open from there, for example, the last leaves in the rear of my K5 were 63" long with the pin moved back 3" and the shackle was hanging off the bumper brace.