Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Relocated gas tank....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, May 3, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I got the basic design for the gas tank mounting figured out today...Here's some pictures..

The two pieces of angle sandwich the flange sticking off the side of the tank. The bottom piece is welded to the frame, the top piece is bolted to the bottom inorder to clamp the flange in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bottom of the tank is higher than the bottom of the frame.. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    [​IMG]

I'm going to build a box around the tank...Kinda like Estehoes, but mine will be like a lid I can unbolt and lift off. Havent really figured out what I'm gonna do with the filler part yet. I'll probably get the tank part finished next weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

Thats cool, Ive seen quite a few people locate the tanks in this spot. I bet it helps the weight distrobution as well. When i first bought my project truck, i found that the tanks had standing water still in them! the guy was just using a plastic tank on the seat to move it around....so i had this tank made by a company called Arizona Springs, here in tucson. The bed box eventually went over it, and the extended fill tube as you can see below, sits right inside the lid of the box, making it easy for me to lock the box and keep people from meddeling with my tank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers to custom tanks! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Zeus33rd

Thats pretty cool. Nice and clean lookin. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Next thing I have to figure out is how I'm going to work the filler thing..How to make it work with the "lid" I'm going to build. I have some ideas, just not sure if they're gonna work yet.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Is that a 40 gallon tank?

5. Zeus33rd

Nope. I wish it was though. I think it's 30gal? Or 25? I can't remember. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One the first projects I want to do, on my P/U truck, is get an auxiliary fuel tank set up. The tanks on my P/U have a bunch of cr@p in them, the sending units do not work correctly, and they are the infamous "exploding saddle tanks" as well. Here is an image of the tank I want to buy from a company called Aero Quip.

[​IMG]

Jethro's Fuel tank set up looks pretty beefy. With that piece of "bridge steel" across the back of it, I feel sorry for anybody that rear-ends you.

Camo K10's set up is a lot like the way I am going to set up my P/U.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    and they are the infamous "exploding saddle tanks" as well

[/ QUOTE ]

You do know that was a rigged news story dont you (regarding the "exploding saddle tanks")? They strapped a flare or something like that to the side of the tank to get it to explode.

Although I did just see a truck that had the gas tank rupture and leak gas resulting in a fire that totalled the truck. It didnt look like there were any explosions though, just a hot fire.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that was on the newer chevy's, there is no changing that in a side impact, the sheetmetal gets hit, then the tanks.

9. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    Thats one thing to keep high and dry. Custom tanks are cool, big ones. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Looks cool!